plugging holes in Whaler transom

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Greg A.

plugging holes in Whaler transom

Post by Greg A. »

Need some advice. I am going to raise the 70ho merc on the transom of my 15 whaler, as the engine is mounted too low. Its the original engine (88), I am 3rd owner. Bought in June and noticed something not right, HUGE rooster tails and spray blowing into the boat at speed. Talkd to some people, said engine is mounted too low, and a check shows it is. The cav plate is 2" below the keel. Can't just raise it, as they mounted it using only the upper set of bolt holes on the engine. I plan to remove the engine, plug of fill the lower set of holes, raise engine 2", then re-drill holes to use the lower mounting area on the engine also, but high enough to get into the motor well for through bolts.

Whew...now, whats the best way to fill the 1/2 holes in the transom then gelcoat them? Wooden dowels with epoxy, straight epoxy with cabosil?
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

make sure there is no water in the transom, the foam in the inner section soaked up water and the boats got very heavy, tough to gel coat over epoxy, I'd vee out the holes, maybe open up the holes on the inside to creat a fiberglass rivet concept, chop up some cloth and mix it wiyh polyester resin, fair out, brush on some gelcoat to fill the small voids/pin holes, sand out the ares twice the size with400 paper, thin the gel coat, add some wax and spray the repaired area out wiyh the gelcoat with adequate millage, pour a lot of thinner in the gun 2 clean it, stir it up, fog in the perimeter of the repaired area, let kick off, wet sand or color sand with 600. 1200, 2000, and finesse it, did the same 2 my whaler many moons ago, still floats
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

You might consider a very simple mechanical type jack plate to raise the height of the engine. A buddy of mine used one for the same reason and the boat actually tracked straighter at idle, I guess because it moved the engine away from the transom about 2 or 3 inches. It reduced the porpoising some too.

Eddy G.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I use the wooden dowel method, but I redrill the hole to a larger size to clean up the core first. Make sure the core is dry. I cut the dowel so that is is at least 1/2" short of the transom thickness. Tape up the transom around and below the hole. Fully coat the dowel with unthickened epoxy and insert it. Center it in the transom so that each end has enough room for fairing. Fair out the hole with thickened epoxy and finish as desired.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

I looked into just installing a jack plate, but would still have to fill the lower holes. Engine was not installed properly originally, using only the upper set of mounts on the engine, even with a jack plate I's have to fill and drill new holes. I do not want to drill more holes in the transom, but have to for any fix. At least just raising the engine, standard holes will be in the transom for any future re-powers.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I have a 15' Whaler here with a 90 on it, is there anything you would like me to look at/photograph for you?

may sound dumb but are you sure it is the right length engine for the transom?

Those boats you cant use standard drilling pattern, its puts the lower holes out of the splashwell