Building an engine jig...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Whaler1777

Building an engine jig...

Post by Whaler1777 »

Figured it out! Thanks everybody..
Last edited by Whaler1777 on Oct 28th, '10, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

John, I can scan the drawing from my shop manual...I cut a jig from plywood to test fit everything...In the end making everything fit YOUR boat is the way to go...The factory engine mounts made it difficult to get the engine shaft alignment JUST right....my 2 cents..learned the hard way..BH

1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Hi Bob thanks for the reply... I only have the forward engine mounts, nothing made for the transmissions yet... figure I'm going to have them done custom...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

Hi John,

You can go to sbmar.com, it is tony Athens site from boat diesel and look through his files. He has the factory drawings there and also cummins install sheets.

If you can't find something thing email him he can send it to you. He is very helpful. Also, he is a great source for good parts cheap and some really good add-ons.

I got my mounts from him and they were less than half the cost of Cummins.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
randall

Post by randall »

thats pretty impressive bob. no amount of measuring or planning could substitute for a solid mock up.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Bob Lico gave me a great engine jig & ZF 220 mockup design... from a 4x4 a couple 2x4s & a 2 x6.. shafts lined up almost perfect from the sstart..
Wayne
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

hung my 330 cummins from a chainfall, blocked them in place, fabbed some plywood mounts and bolted them down, fabbed the engine risers the same way following the proffessors post ,then had these various mounts/ risers fabricated , everything was aimed at the shaft/ flanges that had been fixed in place with vee blocks and hot glue