Cummins engines

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Davidr0007

Cummins engines

Post by Davidr0007 »

Faithful,
At the FLL boatshow yesterday a cummins rep recommends a good replacement choice for the 454's is and engine called a QSD 4.2 with 300 hp and turns at 3800 rpm...He said they will be repalced in the future with an electronic engine at a much higher price...something here smells.
does anyone know...
DavirR
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

David...

Do you visit the Boatdiesel forum? I am sure you can get an answer there from experts. If you aren't a member ($25/year) I can post this question for you and you can read the responses. The help you can get there is fantastic.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I wouldn't trust an engine manufacturer's rep at a boat show for anything. Half of the ones I've met have hands that have never gotten oil on them. Ask Bruce or Tony Athens. The only thing you can count on from the rep is that diesel prices will go up every year. Walter
Capt. Mike Holmes

Cummins

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Sounds like the Cummins/Mercruiser engine, which is usually coupled to a stern drive. I know of a few that have been installed as inboards, and the owners like them. They are light, high rpm for a Cummins. I think it was actually from the Mercruiser side of the family. Walter is right about the reps at the shows, most of them don't know very much.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."