1969 20 Sportsman

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

rocket07

1969 20 Sportsman

Post by rocket07 »

I am currently restoring a 20 Sportsman and I am trying to find out what the original gauges were. If anyone has a picture, I would greatly appreciate if you could forward it to me.

Thanks,

Ron
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Just to let you know....there is a Bertram 25 site and on that there is a B20 sub-site (group). Someone might be able to help you out there. My 20 has all aftermarket teleflex stuff so sorry I can't help. 25 site is...
http://www.25bertram.com/[url]
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

not sure about 20--but the original gauges for a 31 were stewart warner
Carl

Post by Carl »

Stewart Warner in my 31.

welcome to the site...hang around...some of the other guys have other size Bertrams that may have your answer. We even have another gent that just goes by Rocket...I believe he has a Baron...not sure of the size.

Carl
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

The B20 had Stewert Warner gauges as well. At least on my Bahia Mar, never seen a Sportsman up close.

I think the best match that you can get now are the Teleflex heavy duty.

Ian.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I helped Tommy Drake get his B20 Sportsman here in Louisiana and remember taking some photos of it including the panel.....can't find them on this computer. Tommy, do you still have them? For some reason I don't remember the gague panel being the stock Mercruiser one that was on my B20 Bahia Mar burt a more "custom looking" gague layout, and it was original according to the then owner. I also have some original B20 Sportsman brochures and I'll chcek them for a panel photo.

How about it Tommy?

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I found a color copy someone sent me of a boat test of the B20 Sportsman in Rudder magazine, probably 1968. Lots of photos including a clear one of the center console, and the engine gage panel is the stock chrome Mercruiser with the tach on the right and three smaller gages to the left of it across the top, the key switch under them. The same panel I had on my 1969 B20 Bahia Mar with the Merc. 160, and the same panels that came on my 1972 B25 with Merc. 165s.

And, just found the original factory full color brochure on all 4 B20 models that I got with my 69 Bahia Mar (with the stamp of the Corpus Christi dealer who sold it to Bobby Green in 1969, who sold it to me, to boot) and there is a shot of the Sportsman center console (partially obscrued by the large boobs of a bikini-clad model) that shows the stock Mercruiser panel, so I guess that's what they came from the factory with.

The Sportsman as tested in Rudder had a 160 Mercruiser and shows the boat with a 32 gallon tank; the color brochure shows the 50 gallon tank, so the brochure is from 1969, the last productionyear of the B20s as that's the year they switched to the 50 gallon tank from the 32.

The color brochure has a really sexy blue Baron with red bucket seats and red bolsters.....and a totally custom instrument panel in the middle of the dash....power options were the 160 Merc. and a 235 hp. Holman-Moody which they claim would push her to 45 mph. Seeing that Baron kinda has my blood boiling......be one helluva Prop Stop boat...

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you are looking for a picture of that Merc/165 ho panel, e-mail me at
wkapriel@optonline.net and I'll send it to you. Walter
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hey Vic,

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been out of town for a while. I found some photos of the B-20 Sportsman when you served as my agent of record (the trip down to your fish camp to pick her up was a real blast...thanks again!). Like you, I can't tell if the gauge panel is original, and I can't make out the manufacturer of the gauges themselves. I'll be glad to send some photos to anyone who needs them. Email me at: tdrake@intrex.net.

Tommy