One of the "Faithfull"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

One of the "Faithfull"

Post by Brewster Minton »

My boat lost a hawsaw pipe coming back from the trench in 10' waves. . Matt Ciarpella saw that it was missing in the pics from Greenport. He went out of his way, took his time, money, hawsaw pipe, and sent it to me so my boat would be perfect again. He is the Man! Truely one of the "Faithful". Thank you Matt.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

As I have said for years, "what a site!" Some of my closest friends have come from it... as has an awful lot of help. What has just happened to Brew I have found to be the norm rather than the exception! Bravo Matt!
killa

Post by killa »

what is that ?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Killa,

The hawse pipe is the metal (chrome over brass) component that surrounds the hole in the bow deck through which the anchor line and rode passes through to be stored in the rode locker. Because it is elevated a couple of inches and has a covering cap, it keeps sea water/rainwater from entering. The two openings aft where the gunwale meets the stern section are sometimes referred to as hawseholes; as they are openings through which "hawsers" (heavy towing lines) pass through.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Way to go Matt...
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Tommy...

Being in the process of redoing my B33 I need to replace all the metal deck components, since the chrome over the bronze has become pitted and looks crappy.

In looking at catalogs and web sites I was surprised to learn that today all the fittings that slip into openings in the deck that lines go through (ie: the triangle shaped fittings on the deck of the transom through which dock lines go for instancer) are today called hawse pipes. Like you I thought only the anchor rode went through a hawse pipe, but apparently not these days.

The special language of boating began to be corrupted when they started substituting miles per hour for knots! Grrrr.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

"Just doin my duty sir"
If I had any real knowledge I would have given any one of you fellas that.
Wish I could have been at the rendevous.
Matt
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

IRGuy,

Yeah, I noticed the same thing as you pointed out. In fact, when I read Brewster's post, I wondered which of the hawse pipes he was referring to. How 'bout it Brewster, was it the bow hardware or the stern hardware that you lost in heavy seas? Either way, Brewster's point was to acknowledge how Matt, one of the Faithful from this Board, stepped up to the plate to help him out with a need for his 31. As Walter pointed out, I've found this to be typical of the character of guys who are regularly on this page! Thanks again to Capt. Patrick for making it happen.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

It was the stern one. Both jumped out. One landed on the deck and the other deep six. Took 9 hours to get to the lighthouse. I checked the bouy of Montauk and when we went past it was 12' blowing 30 plus. Trashed the boat but we made it back.
bobfioresi

hawse pipe

Post by bobfioresi »

i bought a pair of stainless steel hawes from c&a marine ,in fla at one of the swap meets $30.00 a pair they are the right size for a 31 the only difference is they bolt down from the top. i have them on my boat for 3 months and they still look polished as the day i put them on his no. is 754 366 5549 they really are nice