Painting Advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jprobins

Painting Advice

Post by jprobins »

Since our baby is going to be laid up waiting for a new fuel tank, we are thinking of moving forward one of our other projects: painting. It is currently white with a navy stripe and a blue bottom, with Bertram and the swoosh stripes in a light blue. I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture after this. We are thinking of going with a light blue or a royal blue, with Bertram in white. I have seen both on other Berts, and I like the look. The light blue color I have seen is slightly darker than an ice blue, but I am not sure what it is called. That is where we are leaning. The royal/navy is nice too. Any comments/concerns about the color change or using either of those colors? Everyone I have talked to has said to go with Awlgrip. Any contrary opinions? Actually, we are happy to hear any thoughts at all.

Thanks, Jim
jprobins

Post by jprobins »

Attempting to post a pic.

jprobins

Post by jprobins »

Here is an example of the light blue. On a much larger boat, of course.

IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Jim....

I am in the latter stages of sanding off a poorly applied coat of some kind of paint the previous owner applied to all of my boat above the rub rail. I spoke with several paint people and finally decided that if I wanted the best looking longest lasting job I needed to go with an Imron/Awl Grip type of two part paint system. Several manufacturers make what I have been told are excellent two part paints. My only suggestion is to try to use the system your painter is most familiar with. I had planned on repainting the boat myself with a single part paint, but finally opted to have a pro do the application.. it is too risky for me to try to do such an important job as paint a boat myself!

I am not well versed in painting, so I am doing all the prep work myself with oversight by the guy who will do the actual paint application. Believe me, sanding the decks and cabin sides and flybridge of a 33' boat down to the gel coat is no fun.. I have about 50 hours into that part of the project so far.

My guy is well versed in using Awl Grip, and it's companion paint Awl Craft 2000. He prefers Awl Craft 2000 since it is easier to touch up in the future. It is somewhat softer than Awl Grip.. I am not sure if this is a benefit or if it is how this is seen.. I am taking his word since he comes highly recommended by several local yards.

As far as describing colors.. I simply went online to the different paint manufacturer's web sites and looked at their color charts.

I am sure someone who knows a lot more than I do about painting will offer more in depth info than I can.

Good luck!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Buju

Post by Buju »

Nice 26 Jim... she sits higher in the water than I'd have expected w. the twin inboards (she has IB's right?).

I think your color scheme would be fine. Only thing is how will it offset your bottom paint? You do have a good amount of the b.paint showing forward. I think she'd be sharp if you did the hull light blue, and kept the dark blue antifoul. Then a large white boot w/ one or two dark blue pinstripe boot's. A white bottom would be the way to go, but I'm assuming she lives in the water.

I'd vote to get rid of the highly 1980's bootstripe that becomes a pedestal for the Bertram name... really dates the boat IMO.

Awlgrip is fine. The only negative press you'll find on it is that it can be tempermental to apply... But if your jobbin' it out, use what the painter recommends.
You'll get the best results with what he's the most familiar with.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
jprobins

Post by jprobins »

Great advice. I hate to get rid of the swoosh, although yes it does date the boat. I am going to job the painting out. I have seen some poor self paint jobs. I want to avoid that.

Jim

P.S.--Mine is not and inboard. It is a factory twin outboard.
opunui

Post by opunui »

Jim..

I painted my 31 with Imron volkswagon yellow and the top side pepsi white. the paint was done seven years ago and still looks like it was done yesterday.

They have a new paint out by Geneisis which is a two part polyurathane that is real easy to apply.

Aloha
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
opunui

Post by opunui »

Jim here is a pic.Image
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
jprobins

Post by jprobins »

Beautiful!! We call that "Fighting Lady Yellow" down here.

Jim