brewster what do you hear?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

brewster what do you hear?

Post by bob lico »

going out of fire island inlet tommorow . wave prediction not to good but deep pockets dude whats to go so i will put her into the wind .i will try to photo inlet .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Its going to be 8' seas every 12 seconds Have fun.
randall

Post by randall »

better than today!!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

we did not have fun. what a crazy morning. we went around the last inside red buoy and made the 120 degree turn to the inlet buoy off democrat point.at first it appear that the head bouy had a black solar collector mounted on it.the waves were really bad and the 30knot winds were blowing the tops off them so the bouy was swaying big time man these were hurricane waves . HOLLY smoke there is a guy in a black suit clinging to the bouy for dear life!!!! . i switch to channel 16 for a may day and a NYPD hellicopter overhead wave us off (actually buss us) with that the radio was full of chatter. harbor patroll took there big RIB pass us and took the dude off the bouy the cc follow up with there 43' cutter.then a sail boat flip in the inside of the inlet for some reason the cc wave us off and call then sent the smaller rib in no uncertain terms----------NOT! we turn around and try to fish inside . should be in the paper or on the news tonight.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

there were boats fishing off north bar and the elbow....i even saw a boat off the ranch (open ocean and very rocky).....full on double overhead swell and 30 K straight offshore. 3 guys paddled out at ditch plains. it took them about a half hour to get out and after another half an hour no one dropped in.

not a good day to run the inlet!!
Brewster Minton

Wow some day. I did say 12' waves.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

we had i sail boat flip in jones this past weekend, should lay down in a few days, acually if you can get past the inlets with the swells and braekers the ocean is not bad
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

The wind was howling a bit at 6:30am and gusty from time to time. I am 3 miles inland and know that its usually a lot worse on the water.

Brewster how bad was it out there? I was supposed to be fishing Montauk today had to settle for Bay fishing yesterday near the big meadowbrook.

I DID eat fresh Striped Bass for dinner last night! LOL!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Brewster Minton

Inlet was bad.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i think i should have review my post. the coast guard/ fire island told us go back "you cannot go out the inlet"!!!! i think they kind of had there hands full and seen us about to go out and just plain said no!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bob,

Didn't you tell him it was Bertram weather, and you were on a Bertram?
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harv i was piloting a 45' cabo express.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Its been a tough couple of weeks on the water then!

Wow, a guy hanging onto the bouy? Holy smokes! He's lucky he got that much attention.

Over labor day weekend there was a sailboat race that is annual and goes around Fishers Island. This year we were supposed to have a hurricane on Friday of that weekend, remember? Nothing... Nada, not even wind. But Saturday and sunday were like a helicopter was landing in front of the house! They adjusted the race course on saturday to be inside FI sound only. It didn't help.

A J29 ran into a problem with one of its sails and ended up on South Dumpling island, sunk. Another boat sailed over Horshoe reef and ripped off its rudder. Another boat full of dimwhits (a 25' Formula, good boat, dufus owner) launched to go wave jumping. Engine died in front of the house. 10 minutes more and they would have been on the rocks in front of the house. Joe from Sea Tow Mystic saved them.

Most unfortunate was a child hood friend was sailing his Mumm 30 with a highly experienced crew and during a planned jibe one of the guys slipped, regained his footing, popped up and caught the boom with his head. He was buried a week later. His 14 year old son was on the boat. Terrible... His name was Don Wilkinson, and he was a great man. He ran a company here in Noank called Northeast Storm Protection and put the hurricane screens on my house this spring. Great guy to work with and a very experience sailer and boater in general.

The ocean must never be underestimated... especially when its mad.

Dug
randall

Post by randall »

tough for some fun for others.

i am sorry about your friend. like the guy in florida....it just takes ONE second!!
Harv

Post by Harv »

bob lico wrote:harv i was piloting a 45' cabo express.
Now I understand why he turned you back.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harv

Now that is funny.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

what has happen to the fire island inlet is a story of neglect by the feds.the inlet is about 3/4 mile wide now reduced to a path at one point of 75 yards . the waves become enormous going over the 3' reefs even on a 4' sea day. the surfers just off democrat point take advantage of this " funnel" effect these are my layman words describing the way the sea acts at the inlet pass . anyways this surfer dude lost his board and was getting carry out to sea so he was able to grab the sea buoy and hang on for dear life. this is the third time in my experiance that NYPD was the first on the seen. that a long ways off compare to the coast guard boats but those guys are in the air all the time . closest CG. air is sandy hook nj !!!!
harv of all the boats i have been on including 35' and 40' cabo the 45' cabo is the perfect combination . a little wet in the cockpit in seas over 6' but just as good as any bertram i have ever been in or drove this is the real deal . now you can quote me on this " bob said ; last year i was totally humiliated because i could not get that triple 350hp yamaha/38' jupiter up on plane during the same type waves out east . we stop the boat for 5 minutes for safety reasons and then try to put that bitch up on plane tabs down engines tuck all the way we would get wasted by a cresting wave.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

its hard to find stuff in the water. my son and friends held on to a swamped 16 foot red canoe in the block island sound for 3 hours while the CG looked with a helicopter. a local marine patrol guy figured the tide wind and drift and found them 20 minutes before dark. i guess clinging to a buoy narrows the search.

about 20 years ago i was surfing waves larger than i would paddle out in now. my friend and i hear a guy yelling for help right in the impact zone so we paddle over. guy is frantic because his leash broke and he lost his board. we told him to just relax and swim in. "i dont know how to swim". this fool is out in 12 foot waves and is betting his life on a little piece of plastic cord.......you cant make this stuff up.

yeah...we rescued him...took 45 minutes and a few severe beatings to get him to shore. guy on buoy......probably his brother.