New Hampshire Boating

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

New Hampshire Boating

Post by moguls2go »

Hi Guys,

My wife and are are seriously considering a move from Chicago to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. I grew up boating in western Lake Erie around the Erie Islands and so forth; southern Lake Michigan is pretty mediocre by comparison. Are any of you current or former residents of the southern Maine/New Hampshire seacoast/extreme northern Mass. area? Can you comment on what we can expect from a boating experience? Are there places to go, things to see (decent cruising)?

Thanks,
Max
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You're going to get a LOTTA help.
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Hi Max

I'm out of portsmouth NH. Don't do much cruising, mostly fishing, for now. Love the area, lots of options. Great fishing, inside for stripers, blues, flounder. Offshore, and in the spring you don't have to go far, you have ground fish (cod, haddock, cusk, etc). We've got Jeffries ledge due east with plenty of whales and dolphins. But the real whale shows tend to be down south of Gloucester on Stellwagon bank.

From Gloucester north you have the gulf of maine, with Isle of Shoals off NH where lots of people weekend on. Keep cruising north and you have all of Maine, which you could probably cruise around for a lifetime.

Heading south you have all of Mass bay with cape cod. Keep going and run through cape cod canal and you're into buzzards bay and you can get to Nantucket, Martha's vineyard, and the elizibethen islands (sp?). Keep going and you have long island sound (mystic ct, conn. river), and long island. From there you can go offshore and when they show some nice yellowfin, big eye, albacore etc.

From Gloucester to Mystic Ct is ~160nm, takes me about 8 hrs. Martha's is probably 2 or so hours less. Right now I fish, so I'm usually heading to one of the ledges or a port where i can get offshore. So I haven't spent any time up in maine. Got friends that do and they love it. Acadia national park, and lots of islands. Up in these waters you better be prepared for fog, radar deflector, radar and know how to use it.

Bottom line, lots of places to go, plenty of ports to stop in at, and lots to see. Depending on time you can always find someplace to go.

there's 3 or 4 other guys that are on/off this board that might chime in.
Great area, good luck
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Not to mention the Portsmouth area in general, the Annisquam and Merrimac Rivers, Manchester by the Sea, Marblehead, Salem, Boston, P-town, etc...
Regards,

Doug L.
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Terrific! Thanks- we're looking forward to the move.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Max...

Lucky for you! The winter weather in Portsmouth is probably no worse than Chicago, but you are moving to a great boating area! Lots of towns up and down the coast.. lots of neat one day and 3 day weekend trips are possible. The Maine coast is beautiful! A run down to Boston is certainly possible. Whales are at Stellwagen Bank in the summer!

I moved to SC from the MA coast, and while we love the weather here the boating in New England can't be beat!

You and your wife will love it!

Frank B
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
scot

Post by scot »

Salt water, i.e. serious corrosion compaired to the water you have played in! But there is nothing like boating in the ocean. Swells, critters, currents....all the fun stuff!!

That's a beautiful part of our country and a beautiful coast line for boating. All we have to look at in Texas is marsh and oil rigs!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Scot

You forgot logs, trees, and telephone poles! Lots of fun things coming down the river after the spring rains. Into June you need to keep an eye on the water when running. Was out for tuna yesterday and had whales and a seal around the boat. Unfortunately no fish, but that's fishing.

Doug L, ever see Thudd around anymore? What's he up to?
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Thudd didn't come to the NE Rendezvous because he was in a Triathalon that Sunday. we missed him!
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Thanks Walter, glad to hear Thudd's still around.
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Tim was in a triathalon? I guess its been a long time since I've seen him.
Regards,

Doug L.