"Rough Day"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

"Rough Day"

Post by Kevin »

So it was Tuesday, a day I had been looking forward to. All needed fixes/modifications to the boat were completed. Still some cosmetics to complete, but overall the boat was ready for the trip to Lauderdale. I new it was going to be windy a day ahead of time, but what the heck, it's a Bertram. I checked weather underground the night before and they were saying 20-30 from the NNE. I did not like the sound of that, but I made a deal and I am not one to bail out.

Just stopping at the fuel dock was a challenge. Topped her off and headed out of Marathon on the oceanside. Made it at least 100yards and water was crashing over bridge. Green water over bow. Continued past Duck key and tried the bay side. No better. All in all I made it about 10 miles from the house in an hour. Did some quick mental math and a 6 hour trip was now 15 hours. Looked at Joe who was my old boss on the offshore patrol boat and said, "you and I have done a lot of stupid sh@$, where do you think this rates. He just smiled and said this is on the top of the list. We turned around and headed back with our tails between our legs. Great boat or not, 30 mph wind is just too much.

Plan B was find a trailer and load it up. By the time we had a trailer it was 9pm. Now I can say I have even loaded a Bertram 28 on to a trailer equipped with slick strips, no bow eye on the boat and in the dark. Pucker factor. Long story short, it worked and the Steyr guys got the boat to Lauderdale for the show. It has been a long time in the works, but I am almost done. My trips to the hardware store are at least slowing down. With all this free time on my hands, I am not sure what to do. Guess I will check the boat trader online! Kevin
randall

Post by randall »

done?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kevin,
Tuesday was no day to be in the ocean. The stream was running 8'.

You did the smart thing.

Even though I have yet to meet you, from what Sid tells me, I wish I had a 100 customers like yourself.

Your a hell of a guy.

Pat and I are leaving early am for Miami to view Gerry's boat and then up to the show.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Randal/Bruce
I guess finished would be a better word rather than done. Boats are never really finished though. At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hope it is not a frieght train. I will be up there Saurday and Sunday. I want to meet up with you guys at some point. Kevin