New Project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RichardA

New Project

Post by RichardA »

Hello fellow 31ers,

I grew up fishing on my dad's '67 31 Bahia Mar, "Omynek", out of Dauphin Island and Orange Beach, AL. The 31 was retired a few years ago when my dad got a '69 38 Hatteras, almost as cool of a boat as the 31. The 31 has collected barnacles and mildew at the end of his wharf for the past three years and I have been thinking a lot lately about putting in the work to bring her back to her former glory. I know how big of a dedication of time and money it will bring and I'm not quite ready for the financial challenges so it will be a long process. From the rusty 454's to the rotten deck, the boat needs a total overhaul. Obviously, my first step is to get it out of the water and put it somewhere I can work on it. But at this time, I'm mostly just trying to get a plan in place. First thing is a time line. I think that a good goal for myself would be to do it in two years, but depending on what all I decided to do and how much money I would need, I realize that it could take five. Now that I have introduced myself as a fellow enthusiast, I look forward to seeking the advice of all of you that have been there before me. Hopefully, I'll be back soon to seek specific advice on my project and if any of you have any advice for me before I get started, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to hear of your experiences so that I can try to avoid some mistakes that some of you made along the way. I won't say that I'm completely prepared to get started, but it will happen soon. First step, get it out of the water, break it down to the hull and save what I can. I'd also like to keep a log and keep the experts (you) updated so that I may recieve the best of advice. I'll try to get some pictures up of her in her rough shape in the next couple of weeks.

Richard
1967 31 Bahia Mar
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome Richard!

You will get a ton of information and advise here.

For me...I have always been an advocate of "get the boat seaworthy, then use it." The more you use it the more you will understand what projects need to be tackled. I try to keep projects to the"Off" season and tackle one of two a year if I can.

A deck refit can be a good week project if you need to do the supports as well...motors...if just rusty...well I can't say much as I don't know the condition or what your plans are.

Then again that is me...I want the boat to use, not work on and tinker with, although the tinkering and maintenance do require a good amount of time.

My dads got an ol'Hatteras too... Another Bertram Hatteras Family Shootout. Two quality boats! Can't go wrong.

Good luck,
Carl
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I agree with Sim. Fix it so you can use it. By using it you will see whats next that you want to do. If you strip it and go all the way it could be years and big $$ before you get to go out. Just my two cents. Its up to you and what you want in the end.
RichardA

Post by RichardA »

I appreciate the advice on using the boat and can see the benefits to that, but I'm gona go all out on stripping it and starting over. The majority of the boat is rotten and in order to pull off a full weekend trip with the 454's, too much extra fuel is a necessity. Repowering, new floor, and paint are my top priorities and obviouslt, I'll run into many other things along the way. When those things are complete though, back in the water it goes to figure the rest out. The good news is that, between my dad and friends, I have other boats to use to bridge the gap. I wish I had been prepared to start working on the boat this summer since I have'nt been able to go fishing anyway. But oh well, didn't count on a massive oil spill. Also, I have an opportunity to buy a pair of 250HP Styers right now, but don't really know anything about them. Any info on the feasibility of those motors would be appreciated as well, meant to include that in the original post.
1967 31 Bahia Mar
Carl

Post by Carl »

Steyrs are great little power plants..Sr has them in his boat...actually the 236 Model motors. Smoothest diesel motors I have ever seen...very little smoke. Quiet until the turbos kick in. Efficient. The turbos are water cooled. These motors, like most other motors today are electronically controlled...but a real nice point about these powerplants, you can override the electronics if they should ever go out on you. Also, if you lose a water pump you can still run the motors up to 1500rpm without overheating them...another plus is they are small, compact well engineered and light...smaller and lighter then the 454's you already have in the boat. Another thing I like is the motor does not need to be bled if you should run out of fuel or needed to change fuel filters, get a clogged line etc when out and about...first step in the ignition starts the fuel pump and takes care of that for you...

Not a salesman...just like the motors.

So you pretty much got it figured out..at least the game plan. Different from what I would do...but it's all good...different strokes for different folks. Best of luck and hope to be hearing about your progress...posting a few pictures along the way never hurts either.

Carl
RichardA

Post by RichardA »

Would I have to get new shafts and struts with those engines?
1967 31 Bahia Mar
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You're on the border line. I have 210 Cummins and have the 1 3/8" shafts and 20X20 cupped nibrals for years with no problems. Bruce should chime in as he knows the Steyrs well as far as the torque curve of those engines is concerned. Walter
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Richard.....welcome aboard.

I am in Fairhope, you must be pretty close by.....

Good to hear from someone else in the Mobile Bay area....

Don't pay to much attention to the time factor for restoring one of these beast....it will scare the hell out of ya.

But I can tell ya that you are in good company......our group of "Bertram Brothers" here are all top shelf gentlemen......you made a good choice.

The way you rebuild a Bertram 31 is kinda like the way you eat an elephant....one bite at a time.

Harry
hb
RichardA

Post by RichardA »

I am close by. The boat is at my parents house on Dog River right now, and I work in Daphne. What's the name of your boat and where do you keep it?
1967 31 Bahia Mar
RichardA

Post by RichardA »

Harry, it'll be nice to have someone local to bounce things off of as well. Especially a local with a machine shop. :-D
1967 31 Bahia Mar
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Harry can make just about anything. Maybe better too.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

My 31 is named DeNada. She is a 31 Express and I purchased it from a Mike Rogers in Mobile but I believe that she once belonged to one of the Kennedy families in Mobile.

Right now and for the past 3 years she (DeNada) has "Stayed" on some 8x8 blocks at my shop here in Fairhope.

If you ever travel 98 south of Fairhope just look to the left just after you cross county road 32 and you will be looking directly at her nose.

I am nearing the end of a "Repower" and plan to launch her early in the spring of the year 2025.....LOL....don't believe that...I may actually get back in the water very soon.

251-510-5293 cell.....gimme a call....leave a message if I don't answer right away.

Harry
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Richard,
Welcome aboard....Capt Pats building tips will be your best asset on your way to rebuild your Bahia Mar. I began a complete rebuild four years ago on my 66 Bahia Mar, a total gut job will take ALOT of time trust me...
Click on the www @ the bottom of my post, I have about 190 pics of a true gut job...I have learned alot along the way...persistence, patience, and how to do it right. Any questions ask away...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Richard

Don't be afraid to give it time. I started my repower the same time Harry did. While I am floating I am still trying to get things back together. They come apart a lot faster than they go back together. Plus I am a weekend warrior so what should take a week takes longer. Plus all the interuptions. You know how it goes.

Good luck and take it slow and easy. Plan it out and do it right.
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Richard,

Hey it is Andy, Brook's husband. Read your post and you definitley came to the right place for advice and information. I had a 25 Bertram out in Hawaii and learned alot from this group. Sadie and Jay fished on my 25 in Hawaii. After selling the 25 bertram and searching for the right 31 bertram for almost a year I ended up buying a 1970 36 Hatteras. The Hatteras just better suits my needs with the family. Also, someone else had already done the $$$$ work and needed to get rid of it. Hell, I even tried to talk your dad into selling his boat to me. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

-Andy
Carl

Post by Carl »

RichardA wrote:Would I have to get new shafts and struts with those engines?
That depends on what you have...

I have gas in mine with 1-1/4" Monel shafts running thru a real small strut at a tight angle to the hull...no room for a larger wheel and the shafts would be inadequate...I'd have to go up in size, shaft, wheels, struts Stuffing box, etc. I may do that anyway as a winter project one year.

Sr had 1-3/8 shafts with real beefy struts...with the high RPM diesels all he had to do was increase the wheel pitch and he was good.

Run your numbers thru a Good Prop shop and they should steer you in the right direction. Run them here as well...you don't need surprises.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Richard,

Whatever engines and transmissions that you choose, other than your current setup, will 99% of the time dictate a different length of shaft than what you have now. So, you'll probably be buying new shafts...

The 1 3/8" diameter should be fine for the 250 Styer, but I highly recommend that you up grade the quality of the shafts to Aquamet 22, regardless of power and shaft size.

Any diesel power above 250 hp and below 350 will require that you increase the shaft size to a minimum of 1 1/2". Any diesel power above 330 hp is going to open up problems with the shaft angles, props, and struts.

Again, welcome aboard.

Patrick
RichardA

Post by RichardA »

Well, sounds like the shaft question was quite a loaded question, as most are when it comes to boats. Plenty of time to worry about that though.

Andy, I remember Sadie and Jay talking about fishing with you out there and I was extremely jealous. I've seen your 36' Hatt too, nice boat. Definitely better for the family than the 31'. You plan on trying to get out any the rest of the summer or fall? We are going out of Destin on a buddy on mine's boat this weekend.

Harry, not sure if I've seen yours but I have seen one on the side of 181 almost to 98 that have spotted for a while that I've figured had to have gotten there by trailer. I always figured that would be a good place to start in my trailer search, but I'm not quite down to needing a trailer yet. I didn't get your last post until this morning, but will give you a call this afternnon. I'd love to come down and check out your boat some day after work too.

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I know I have a long road ahead of me that hasn't even really started yet, but look forward to the challenge. I consider myself fairly "mechanically creative". I think that combined with the advice I can get from this board, I should be able to work through anything. I definitely don't know what all goes into it at this point, but I plan to when I'm done.

Thanks to all,
Richard
1967 31 Bahia Mar
Carl

Post by Carl »

RichardA wrote: "mechanically creative".
Richard

LOL...I like that line. Please consider it "Stolen" as I will be using it from now on.

Yep...instead of "What the hell is that!!" It will be "I see you are being Mechanically Creative again..."

Carl
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

"I see you are being Mechanically Creative again..."
My way of life since a pre-teen kid.... Even hold two degrees in Dark Continent Engineering from TFLU & S of HK.
RichardA

Post by RichardA »

Wow, Bob. I don't think I should set my sights for that much of a gut job, but want to get down to the hull. That looks amazing though.
1967 31 Bahia Mar
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Pat wrote:Even hold two degrees in Dark Continent Engineering from TFLU & S of HK

Capt, I went to the same school, HARD KNOCKS AND TOUGH LOVE, but I did find comfort in a couple of fraternities while in school......I was in UNCAPAFIFTH and IFELTATHIGH......

Richard, I will have to take a ride down 181....don't remember seeing a 31....but I will certainly look.....now DeNada is on Truck route 98 almost to the intersection of Scenic 98.....could that be the one you have seen....Blue Hull....

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Richard, Follow Harrys school of Boat B floatn U...Im still a ways away, but commiitted to the path im on...should be committed for the path I took..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
RichardA

Post by RichardA »

Yeah, I think the key for me will be to take out everything that is rotten and in need of upgrade (which is a lot) and then take it slow from there to see what all I want to do. Don't know that I can committ to Bob H.'s path.
1967 31 Bahia Mar