Pics of what will cause camshaft failure

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

Pics of what will cause camshaft failure

Post by scenarioL113 »

A lucky stab with the magnet into my oil pan retrieved this woodruff key that ran through my front gears inside the timing cover. The next time you read through your cummins books and it says "be careful........catastrophic engine damage will.......yada yada yada...! Well now you are seeing the result first hand.

When I first pulled it out I thought it was a broken gear but on further examination I could see the shape of the woodruff key on one of the ends. It got pressed into the shape of the gears.

Last edited by scenarioL113 on Aug 15th, '10, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
scot

Post by scot »

Nice, have it chromed and make a ring, or a necklace out of it. The gears must be much harder than that key...looks like it came out of a Playdoh factory mold.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Dug

Post by Dug »

Oh hell yes! That would be the perfect thing to do with that! Way too important to throw it away or leave it on a shelf.

What a seriously great idea!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Ouch! ! !
It would cost a fortune to make a part like the damaged key.

What kind of injection pump do you have on your engines? I am assuming that the key came from the "Pump Drive"....right???

The key must have been laying on a ledge of some kind.....then fell into the gears.....once a part like that makes it to the oil pan its not a problem.

At any rate it make a cool trinket.....but most of all I am glad that it did not damage anything else and that you are back up and running......

No bent valves?????

hb
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If I'm shoving a tapered shaft into a gear inside a housing I can't see, I always put a few drops of lock tite on the key, install in slot and let setup before I install. That way any movement will not make the key fall out.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

It was from the Lucas-Cav Injection pump. I am up and running and I checked as well as I could without pulling the head.

No obvious bent valves, I measured the height with rockers removed and all of them sat as close to identical as could be measured. I had no acess to air so I did not pressurize the cylinder.

It is running pretty good but I can only get 2600 rpm on either engine when before I was getting just shy of 2800. This all started with a leaky pump and when I tried to fix I messed up the calibration. I brought it to a shop and they replaced gasket and adjusted governor spring but did not calibrate it.

This all means nothing, I could still have a slightly bent valve I really dont know. No push rods were bent so who knows its running pretty good.

Still cruises at 2400 and over 18knots and no smoke.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Frank
Just for grins and giggles you can remove the air filter, make sure that the fuel is in the STOP position, then spin the engine over while listening in the intake.

If an intake valve is not sealing properly you will hear a distinct "HISSING" noise every time the piston goes thru a compression stroke.

You can do the same for exhaust but you would have to remove the pipe from the turbo.

Not real sientific....but it is a good indicator.

hb
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

now lets see if the best of the the best ladder company fdny could climb on the top of the buggy top and take down that kvh ant. i sure this old man would be happy to loan out his leak down tester.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I would do a cylinder leak down test just to be sure. If there is a slight bend or cantor to the valve to where its not sitting 100% in the seat, it could start to burn.

Make sure each throttle is reaching 100% wot. You can do this at the dock by checking the stops on the pumps.

Harry,
You could possibly hear leakage past the rings doing that test and mistake it for leaky valves.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bruce wrote:Harry,
You could possibly hear leakage past the rings doing that test and mistake it for leaky valves.
I can see what you are saying, I have successfully found burnt or leaking valves before using my unscientific method.....its easier on diesels because the compression is much higher making the hissing much louder....

The old Mack truck engines....711, 673 and the 675 have 2 heads and their V-8 have 4 heads....its a dead give away to pull the intake and the exhaust then spin the little bugger over....real easy to figure out which head to pull.

If Frank has a leaking valve it will not take long for it to show its ugly face in all its splendor.....

hb
hb
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Thanks for the reply guys.

Bob I would love to give you a hand but I am pretty booked up until next week at the earliest.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok when ever i never took the easy way out in my life but the knee can give out when ever weight is apply at certain angle . climbing on the roof of the buggy top way up in space could be bad for my grandchildren. take the leak down tester any time you want.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bob
you need arial work, give me a call, might be free this sun
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

charlie it is dangerous .there is nothing to hold on to as you get on top of the buggy top at the very top of the marlin tower. i have to remove it (4 bolts) get it repaired and then reinstall.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

is there any thing to belt into up there, and i take it this is not your boat we are talking about
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is the 510 bertram that i am the captain of .i also do much of the maintenace. nothing on top tp hold on to but a tether can be connected to the supporting piping . frank use a rope harness to get up last time.this tv ant. sits on top of the buggy roof
capt.bob lico
bero13010473