B31 fuel tank removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrwolfe

B31 fuel tank removal

Post by jrwolfe »

We are starting the process of removing the tank from a friends B31. we have the deck out, cut the tabs along the sides of the tank, cut the tabs at the rear of the tank. Are there tabs along the front of the tank? If so does that mean the bulk head between the tank and the engines needs to be removed? Any help is appreciated.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

JR,

Any tabbing will be clearly in the open and visable. No tabing to hull, at least that I've ever encountered.

However, the 2 part foam that is under the tank and around the sides can be rather obstanant and really gripping the tank to the hull. Having that forward bulkhead out of your way will make removable much easier. You'll be able to leaver the tank up rather than a direct straight up pull.

Some come out easily some are real pains in the ass. If you encounter a PITA tank, you can damn near pick up the whole boat with a straight upward pull...

Good time to replace both the front and rear bulkheads with Coosa Board. Along with replacing the drain path under the tank...

Tank removal on Hancock's B31

Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Like Pat said, I've never seen hidden tabbing on any of the tanks I've pulled.

I've also always at least removed the rear bulkhead and used wedges driven under the tank to break the bond. Sometimes the wedges have to sit and let the upward force take effect.

Some were easy and popped right away, others were a real chore.

A couple came out so clean I gave them away to use again.
coolair

Post by coolair »

i was lucky, mine came out eeeeasy! i used a little porta power to help free the tank. worked great for me. pine didnt have anything but foam and tabs on it, no bondo Oh i did use a saw and wonder bar to cut the foam along the edges, but dont think i really need too.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

What model year Matt?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jrwolfe

Post by jrwolfe »

Thanks all for the help. We got some wedges started at the rear of the tank and with pressure from a lift the tank popped loose. the pictures you posted were a big help. Thanks again
coolair

Post by coolair »

rawleigh
and my ne front bulk head looks like dog crap next to capt pats, but i am trying to do it with motors in place
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bulletproof

Post by Bulletproof »

I wound up cutting my tank into pieces to get it out. I lifted fore and aft with building jacks against my new deck beams and nothing. I had just re-glassed my forward bulkhead so that was staying. Out came the sawzall and in an hour it was gone.

After I lifted the bottom tank panel out and removed the plywood that was tabbed under it I found three 10" inch long hull fractures that my surveyer never found. Good thing I pulled the tank otherwise I never would have known about them nor had the opportunity to repair them.
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA