Outboard starter problem

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Outboard starter problem

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Always ask the Faithful first....I have a 1988 30 hp Nissan 2 stroke that was manual start...its on my cute little 1962 13 foot Whaler. I converted it to electric start recently by buying a second hand Hitachi starter and some electrical parts from a junk lady in Florida. It fit, worked fine....execpt....now and then the solenoid will click but the starter will not spin. I've checkd the solenoid both with a voltmeter and by jumping it, and its good.....juice is getting to the positive stud on the starter, and the ground is good. If I hold the starter button and whack the starter upside the head with a hammer it works....for a while, maybe a day, then goes back to not....no apparent pattern such as hot, cold, etc. I remember a buddy had a Cat 3116 that had the same problem, except he had to use a maul....

Ideas? (other than a remote control hammer)

BTW, sorry I missed Greenport, looked like a hoot.

UV[/quote]
randall

Post by randall »

ive had a few brit sports cars that required the hammer. sticking bendix drive. try spraying it with CX.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Sounds like a brush may be hanging up in the brush holders. A shot of compressed air may help.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Corrosion or brush residue on the armature commutator, broken or relaxed springs on the brushes.

No corrosion x for this as the commutator needs to be dry for the brushes.

Same thing happened on the AC fan motor in the Freightliner comming back from Bowling Green in June. With no AC it was hot. Kevin drove while I removed the fan assembly and filed the commutator, cleaned the brushes and reinstalled it.

Before I was banging on it every 10 miles to keep it working. That got old.
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks Faithful....I'll bang it till winter then send it to the rebuilder.

Bruce, of course I did soak the hell outta it with CX from the day I got it, so maybe I messed it up with that....the enemy of good is better?

UV
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Or worn bushings that hold the armature, intermittently picking one side not allowing contact of one of the brushes.That's why the hammer works, it centers the armature.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Worked for a rebuilder for a few years back in the day, all those ideas are excellent ones, the only other thing I could add would be corroded button though less likely than the others. I like the bushing thought, very possible and not likely thought of.

Salt + Copper = green x oh shit!

These starteres are pretty simple and well within your ability Vic. The down side is when it doesn't work in the end, the only guy you can get your hands around his neck would be UV..................

I always prefer choking the other guy!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Vic, Stopped by your camp Saturday morning around 10 am. No sign of life. Came over for Dr. Nick's annual party.

AJ was lookin' good.

Eddy G.
In Memory of Vicroy

Eddy - we came over about noon Sat, sorry we missed ya...we heard the band all afternoon over at Dr. Nick's but it was so hot we passed on coming over...plus that band made up in volume for what it sorely lacked in talent.......We went out Sat. nite for Don (el Minister de Pollo's) birthday, the big 60...he said to tell all y'all hi.

We went home Sunday, then back over there Monday and Tuesday with our two older grandsons for the Uncle Vic International Invitational Gar Fish Tournament off our dock, which was won by Hunter Roy, age 10. He also cautht a huge blue channel catfish and despite my many admonitions not to, just had to hook the damn alligator, which is a much longer story.

Looks like we have a little blow coming the next couple of days so I picked up everything at the camp and put the storm lines on AJ. I'm heading to TSL a week from Friday.

Speaking of TSL, got an email from them just now that their rebate deal where they give you some $ back if your boat fails to catch a marlin during August or Spetember only applies if you fish 60% of the time for marlin, and fly fishing does not count. I told 'em that's too damn complicated for me, and anyway, since I'm taking my Dream Team, us participating would be like shooting craps with loaded dice.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

I didn't have any contact cleaner at the camp but shot some Gum Out down the bendix and into the motor....did that a few times and spun the starter a good bit...seems to have fixed it. Bruce, think you were right, I kilt it with kindness, i.e. CX. I'll take some contact cleaner with carbon tet in it next time I go over there, right after I GO TO TSL ON FRIDAY!!!!

UV