To paint or not to paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

To paint or not to paint

Post by Russ Pagels »

With the work going on with the new boat I have a question re: the bottom. the bottom has been blasted and there are no problems.the boat will be on a lift so do I really need a bottom paint such as Micron 33. Or would some thing like Pettit VC10 I think that's the brand, which would be a hard surface paint be better. one other thought would be to imron the bottom with no paint. your thoughts please. the longest it would be in the water would be one week if we took a trip some where...Thanks Russ
Marlin

bottom paint

Post by Marlin »

In the warm waters of south florida we get the start of marine growth after 3 days, feels like sandpaper, in the warm waters of lake erie this week, I had a green bottom after 2 days, we have to wash with diluted muratic acid, which is in itself a debreding action, paint it, I'm testing the hard bottom racing copper bronze bottom paint because thats the color I want and hopefully will minizize the drag factor of bottom paint
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

I would paint it! If you want fuel eff. and speed and don't keep the boat in the water try VC Offshore or the other VC from interlux. I used VC Offshore and loved it. Just be sure when pulling a boat with straps on a lift to tie the straps so they can't slip apart. It is slick stuff! More than one boat with that paint has been dropped.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

Russ,

Consider Petit Vivid. The boat can be hauled and launched. It doesn't seem to mind being out of the water. You can mix any color. I chose a very dark "Midnight Blue" boot with a grey for the bottom that is about barrier coat color. That was 4:1 white and black. You can make any color. Here, in the northeast, short season, relatively cold water, I don't have a hint of growth on the bottom.

Ken
coolair

Post by coolair »

Russ
Just remmeber if you do use bottom paint make sure it will "live" out of the water. Some if taken out of the water longer than a few days "die"
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

thanks for the input guys . any more suggestions. I live on the southern outer banks of NC so build up would be less than say florida.and it would be on a lift, I was hoping to get away from bottom paint all together..Russ
Carl

Post by Carl »

-33 is more for Alum boats.
-The 66 is great, but is for Prof use on large boats.
-The VC line with Teflon is a nice product...but think it falls into the Hard Coat paint. Fast and slick...but growth still happens unless run often and then you need to scrub. Not sure if it holds up out of the water

Hard paint such will not hold up to being out of the water. Again not sure about the Teflon paint...I just know its grouped in with Hard paints.

Ablative is nice because wears, not overly priced...but it wears pretty quickly and especially if your going to be hauled often...sling marks, forks and racks...

Personally I'd opt for spending a few bucks more and go with a CSC paint where it wears away at a determined rate so it lasts longer. It lasts out of water too. I have gotten several years out of a coat of paint and only needed to redo this year as someone got a bit happy with the pressure washer...which is a must on every season ending haul out for storage.

90% of my dock has barnacles and other growth...for me, 4 weeks with "0" use I figured I needed to clean the bottom before attempting to use. So I brought out to a mooring and jumped in...other then a few guys on the wheels I had nothing...my buddy who used the same paint nothing as well...but he used his.

I use Micron Extra with Biolux.
More $ upfront, but I make up for it not having to paint for a couple years, nor do I have to deal with barnies and slime whether I use the boat or not.

My .02 cents