Hard to steer B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

capt2kids

Hard to steer B31

Post by capt2kids »

Hi:
I have hynautic steering on my B31m but it steers like a Mack truck.
The fluid is at the proper level and the air pressure too.
Being a new boat to me i dont know the history. I disconnected the tie bar and its still stiff steering. I noticed the previous owner left some automatic transmission fluid in the boat, its red in color. Is this the kind of oil you use in Hynautic systems? And this boat does have auto pilot by Simrad. It steers fine, but stiff as a board.
thanks
bob k
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

You could check the rudder posts. Maybe new packing was put in and the nuts were screwed down to tight, restricking movement.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It shouldn't be that hard. First of all, if it's filled with automatic transmission oil it shouldn't be. The proper fluid that is red is Milspec 5602 Hydraulic fluid. I just bought a gallon from East Hampton airport maintenance for $29. Buy the clear stuff Teleflex now sells and you'll pay that for a quart. Second, you may have air in your lines and need to have them bled. The bleeder nut is under the reservoir. It should be unthreaded a few turns and have the wheel turned from one side to the other until fluid runs out then tighten. The Hydnautic System is excellent and basically simple. Do your rudders move freely when disconnected from the ram? Walter
capt2kids

Post by capt2kids »

Yes Walter,
The rudders move free with the steering disconnected. I tried to check it before I put the boat in, in the spring. But ran out of time. Thanks for the info on the fluid. I'll get some and bleed it.
Hope to see you in Greenport.
bob k
Brew, thats what i thought too, thanks
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Look at your helm closely where the shaft goes into the body.

Your dealing with a stainless shaft and aluminum body. Over time water with helms that are mounted in a verticle orientation water lies on top of the seal area and begins to corrode the aluminum and it powders and expands and acts like a pair of vice grips on the shaft.

I've had to repair hundreds of helms over the years for this reason.

Other than debris in the system and the bronze filter being clogged at the tank, not much else to go wrong if its still stiff after disconnecting the rudders.

You may have to loosen the 4 helm bolts and drop the helm down to inspect the top where the seal is. Most of the time the hole in the dash or use of a dash plate is just big enough to put the shaft thru and not big enough to see anything.

Edit to note:
Most cylinders are brass, but some have replaced them with the cheaper aluminum. The same could happen here as the helm also even though its on a horizontal plane.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Also check to see if the fluid is a lightweight oil vs. motor oil....no kidding....I blew a hose offshore on my Seastar once and was forecd to use motor oil (Rotella-T 15w40) instead of hyd. oil....worked fine, but VERY stiff steering....drained and flushed with the proper hyd. oil and all was well. I've been told water will work in a pinch as well.

UV
capt2kids

Post by capt2kids »

Thank you gentlemen. I will explore all possibilities, starting with the easiest first. I think it is ATF he has in there. I remember him telling me spare fluid for steering was there, and it was Texaco ATF, not hydraulic fluid. grrrrrrrrr.
Thanks again everyone for your input.
bob k
FWHaas3

Aircraft Hydraulic fluid

Post by FWHaas3 »

Walter: I can find Milspec 5606 aircraft hydraulic fluid, but I cannit find Milspec 5602. Is 5606 the proper fluid? If not, where did you purchase Milspec 5602.

Fred Haas
Frederick W. Haas
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Fred- I may have screwed up on the numbers- I am sure 5606 is probably correct. I will look at my gallon the next time I'm at the boat. The important thing is that these fluids are non-foaming so rogh seas have no effect on them.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

My book says Milspec 5606
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
FWHaas3

Aircraft Hydraulic Fluid

Post by FWHaas3 »

Thanks guys! I checked the Sea Star bottle and it says you can substitute aircraft hydraulic fluid #5606, so I guess that answers the question.

Fred Haas
Frederick W. Haas