heat exchanger repair

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

heat exchanger repair

Post by Bill G. »

Have a leak on one of the top necks[at the weld] of my mercruiser heat exchanger anybody tried Marine Tex for the repair or any other epoxy or am I fooling myself and rip it out and send it out?..TXS-Bill G.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Take it to a radiator repair guy and just have it done. Its pretty cheap.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

A good welder could probably fix it in place by brazing. Epoxy fix won't last more than a few inutes under operating temp and pressure.
Bill G.

heat exchanger

Post by Bill G. »

Probably will rip it out I did use some stuff called J-B Weld a liquid cold weld and I seem to remember it worked anyone else ever used it?sold at Home Depot.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

JB Weld is a metal filled epoxy and an excellent product. Give it a try again, but be sure to properly prep the leaking spot with a stiff wire brush and wipe it down with denatured alcohol. Build it into a fillet and overlap the spot as much as you can, up to 1/2" away.

Worst case scenario, you'll end up pulling it for a true weld or having a welder come aboard.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Theres never a better solution than having something fixed correctly.
John F.

Post by John F. »

FWIW, when one of my mercruiser heat exchangers began slowly leaking by the neck, I brought it to a local radiator/boat guy that does this stuff. I had the whole thing cleaned out, brazed (I think(, pressure tested and it cost me about $50. Just a thought
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I totally agree with the guys that said "Fix it right".....get it silver brazed by a good welder

As far as JB Weld or any other band-aide....in some cases the application of epoxy makes welding a bit more difficult.

ALL of the epoxy MUST be cleaned off of the area to be welded. If JB Weld or Epoxy penetrated down into the crack it will start burning and make a good weld nearly impossible.

It can be cleaned and it can be welded but its more difficult.

hb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry Babb wrote:I totally agree with the guys that said "Fix it right".....get it silver brazed by a good welder

As far as JB Weld or any other band-aide....in some cases the application of epoxy makes welding a bit more difficult.

ALL of the epoxy MUST be cleaned off of the area to be welded. If JB Weld or Epoxy penetrated down into the crack it will start burning and make a good weld nearly impossible.

It can be cleaned and it can be welded but its more difficult.

hb

JB Weld or any other epoxy is great in an emergency...but glue isn't going to be a long term fix and it will cost you more in the end to have it done correctly. I'll 2nd a good radiator shop...they can clean it, braze it and test it.
coolair

Post by coolair »

duck tape??
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bill G.

heat exchanger

Post by Bill G. »

Duct tape it is,pulled it and sent it for repair Thanks!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I have the local guy I use. Jim's Radiator Bridge Ave 732-899-7743. By the way I "fixed" one with that putty stuff and it lasted only 3 years?? Then I got it brazed.