Off topic, dissimilar metals on my truck

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Face

Off topic, dissimilar metals on my truck

Post by Face »

I bought a used Toyota Tacoma within the last year, which I love, but the previous owner put "pretty" metal valve caps on the tires. During an oil change the shop tried to check my tire pressure and couldn't get them off from the front tires, but did manage to remove them from my rear tires.

Any suggestions for removing them other than breaking and replacing the stems? There's a tire pressure sensor in the wheel and I'm thinking maybe it had something to do with the metal reaction.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

CORROSION X!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Face

Post by Face »

I think I've read "Corrosion X" a few thousand times on this board. Can I buy it at an auto or marine store?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Not in any stores around me...order a couple cans to have around.

In the mean time you can use a penetrating oil. I have been found of PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench.

Just remember penetrating oil needs time to Penetrate... so clean up area, if possible arrange so liquid can flow down into fitting, then spray some on and walk away...if you feel the need to do more.... give a few easy taps every now along with another squirt. In a few hours try to remove...if its a no go or starts and stops...another squirt, couple taps and walk away.
It does work. Many times when presented with frozen hardware for us to remove I tell them they can have it next week...I put the item on a bench load it up with penetrating oil then re-apply during the course of the week...often by the end of the week I can just unscrew. Then of course there are those times we can't...but that's another story.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Some Ace Hardwares have it, but not all. I order it from

http://www.corrosionx.com/

It looks like Amazon and some Boatersworld may also have it according to Google.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Face

Post by Face »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I had the same problem. Put a vice grip on the stem. Heat the cap with a torch. Twist the cap off with pliers.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Oh yeah.

Make sure that your tires aren't inflated with acetelyne......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315