shark on a spoon

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

neil

shark on a spoon

Post by neil »

we caught this on a bunker spoon,we had three of them and decided to put this one in the boat Image
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Nice fish. Good eating size there.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Nice
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
ITcookY

Post by ITcookY »

Is that a Thresher Shark? Was this the biggest of the three? The tail looks as long as the body. Has anybody eaten this particular species/type of shark? Shark's Fin Soup anyone? Awesome catch!

John R
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Yes it is a Thresher and the tails ARE usually as long as the fish's body. They are edible as are the Mako, Porbeagle and White. The one shark I have found inedible no matter how it is prepared before or after cooking is the Blue. Don't even try. The Mako, Porbeagle, White and Thresher have a means to get rid of their Uric acids, thus their flesh is clear of any ammonia type taste or smell. Blues (and some others) pass theirs through their skin. In the old "Jaws" days when we killed a lot of fish, I felt obligated to try whatever I killed, and no matter what I tried, Blues were not bad, they were awful. I even tried to smoke them. All of the edible ones "taste just like Swordfish". That's close to true, but no cigar (for me, anyway). I prefer Mako, but the differences are subtle and I found mostly in texture. In all instances, I made them on a grille, basted with anchovy butter.
The fact that these three fish were taken on trolled Bunker spoons, and I assume wire line is a big angling accomplishment. It also means there was a body of Threshers in inshore waters, if they were taken while Bass fishing. Congratulations!
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I've seen blacktip shark for sale, but have never tried it ... has anyone on here ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Blacktip is excellent - my wife likes it better than cobia/redfish

Soak in a little italian dressing an hour before cooking on the grill. A little lemon squeeze as it comes off - mmmmmmm
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Thresher....Good eatin!...NICE JOB!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Whiptail...great job..especialy on a spoon..with wire line? Great eating fish..Walter I agree on the eatn sharks, my dad always said a blue shark is like eatn a twinky soaked in diesel fuel...yuk
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
ITcookY

Post by ITcookY »

Yum! Anchovy Butter!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I prefer to use a fork............. cause that was some good eats!!!!!!!
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"