Anybody recently get a new GPS? looking for ideas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

Anybody recently get a new GPS? looking for ideas

Post by scenarioL113 »

My GPS/Chartplotter took a dump, I was looking for something new.

I like the Garmin GPSMAP-640, seems to be not so big but has a decent size screen, and is pretty low profile.

Can be used on land as well, I dont know if that is good or bad.

Looking to spend UNDER $1000.00

Frank

I have a SI-TEX cvs106 w/ Thru-hull bronze dual freq transducer. I see some of the other GPS Plotters can be used as both a sounder and a chartplotter, would my existing transducer be compatible with anyother sounders???

I have been out of the loop for some time.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

www.boatfix.com has the Garmin 640 on sale right now for $670. Not sure if it can be hooked up to the Garmin sounder black box. I have the "older" Garmin color 2010 with the sounder box and its everything I ever want. Garmin is far and away the best in my view.

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

frank if i recall FDNY .with out a question the best firemen in the world .my knee is hurting i need you to climb to the buggy top of the 51' bertram and replace the fuze on the kvh ant. on the way you can take home the furuno gps . works perfect. i have ALL electronics at mariner you can see for yourself .my humble opinion with about 1500 boats with electronics say price being no object gps 1st place furuno nav net ,raymarine digital g-120 second place due to furuno ease at setting a course. way down the ladder is garmin because-THEY HAVE THERE OWN CHARTS!!!! digital color sounder is definitly raymarine digital with dsm box. weather goes to garmin and radar goes to simrad/furuno . north star has fallen behind in tecnology in recent years ,no mention of the other guys good for lakes all in one unit on bass boat but this study is offshore saltwater big game.if you want to argue you have to have all the boats line up and go from one to the other so you really could see with you actually punching in a course 75 miles away.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Bob I will be glad to stop by and lend you a hand. Since I am in Ladder company (FD) I feel obligated to help any forum member if my "expertise" (I will use that term loosely...LOL) can serve them in any helpful manner. I will call you tomorrow afternoon.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
ITcookY

Post by ITcookY »

http://www.starmarinedepot.comGarmin+546|546s+GPSMAP+Chartplotter.html
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/smd/seeo ... =GI1112-59 ( the Hidden Price)

Add $120 for the Sounder (adding the sounder, but no transducer) Very Fast unit. no redraw time. I think you could clearly read the screen if you were on the Sun itself. Would cost $868 plus shipping. This is not Dual Purpose like the 640 though. (Marine Only).

I don't' know if your plug will match 456s. I have been observing this on a friends boat. He used his old transducer (In hull) and he got it "talking" to the 456s without creating a network. I think that Transducer was from his Great Grandfathers boat. My point is it worked, for him on the Garmin even though it was very old transducer. It was a non-Garmin, like hummingbird or similar.

This unit is awesome in IMHO but that connector may be Proprietary like the Charts.- Mentioned by Capt. Bob Lico.

Does the Sci-tex transducer have a Temperature sensor as well?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thats great frank i get a replacement knee dec. of this year .i can climb to the top of the ladder but not the roof because my leg will collaps if i surpport my body weight on the left leg.i should explain myself above ;all marine electronics use either navionics or c-map for chart software so you become accustomed to noaa charts .when you go to your gps/plotter the color designations and charting are the same.garmin has there own.when you at the high end with weather,satelite imaging,sea surface temperature,and 3D navigation you will appreciate furuno,raymarine,simrad.the basic system for furuno with no installation just parts is 19,000 dollars without thermal imager.you could cut back with radar overlay on gps full screen and split screen sonar/3d image on other screen.most use triple screens.a big step down in price would be si-tex and northstar again they are c-map charting ,not for everyone.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473