Small depth recorder recommendations?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Small depth recorder recommendations?

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I just installed a Furuno LS 4100 depth recorder with an Airmar Model P79 in-hull adjustable angle depth transducer in my B-20 Bahia Mar. My harbor has a clearly marked, but narrow channel but most 3 Mile Harbor outside the marked chanel ranges from 3-15 ft. A lot of my "family type fishing" is done in those areas for light tackle striped bass and bluefish. Great for the grandkids. The recorder has an auto mode where all the settings get adjusted by the depth you are in. I thought that would be a perfect place to start. Well in 9 ft of water, the zero/surface line takes up 6 of the 9 feet on the chart. If I get into 6 ft of water, it seems the auto mode starts to cycle the depth ranges sequentially from 0-15 to 0-1000 ft of water. In the manual mode, it's not much improved. Needless to say, it's driving me nuts. I have tried contacting Furuno on the internet, but haven't gotten a response yet. I am seriously considering getting a completely different depth recorder that may or may not be able to use my transducer. Does anyone have any experience with a good, simple depth recorder that works well in both shallow and deeper (no more than 150 ft of water)? A friend of mine has a tiny early model Garmin with a color screen that was surprisingly bright and clear. I looked up Garmin and now there are sooo many models and GPS combos that I am more confused than ever. Anyone have any recommendations? Many thanks.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Walt - sounds like the gain is set too high on your current unit. Find the control to turn the gain way down.

UV
John F.

Post by John F. »

The creek I live on is 4' mlw. The Furuno LS4100 I have does the same thing in auto. In manual, turn the gain way down, range down to minimum, and its a little better--but only so, so. On the Furuno 1850 I have on the B31, its the same in auto, but if I go to manual, turn gain way down, set the range to 0-15', it works great. Lots of sounders have trouble in shallow water.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Turn the auto off. Manual and set gain to 1 or 2 then see how that works.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Shallow murky water drives my old Furuno nuts too. Bring the gain way down and she usually settles in. I had used Dads extra Si-Tex and that one would just bounce around in Auto and was a pain to bring over to Manual.

I hate Auto mode unless cruising.

Recommendations...look at the Raymarine Digital fishfinders. Don't look at the price till after you do use one in a real world sea trial. To me they are a substantial difference. My next sounder will be Digital...just waiting for my old Furuno to die.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Walter,

Furuno makes some of the best sounders ever. That shallow water and auto feature don't go hand in hand. Generally the return is happening so fast that the unit is hunting for the bottom all the time, once they start hunting its a real nuisance, not so much an issue over 60 ft of water.

Shut the auto off, drop the gain down and remove any auto filter that are on in the menu, if you always running in water up to 15 ft set her at 20 and tune it in. The new menus can be a bit cumbersome but I'm sure you'll get her.

I am guessing that the transducer is clean (unpainted) and in good working condition.

Even the guys reps at other manufacturers will tell you Furuno makes the best sounder.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Marlin

furno sounder

Post by Marlin »

If you haven't resolved the issue ,call Dean Silver at Furuno 561 793 0101, he is the southeast regional mgr and knowledgeable, I have purchased many navnet units and can generally get his attention, if you cant