Boston Whaler bargain?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Boston Whaler bargain?

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I went to 3 Mile Harbor Boat Yard today and someone posted a selling sheet on the bulletin board that I thought I would let the bretheren know about since there was a big Boston Whaler thread a few weeks ago. A 1984 Boston Whaler Super Sport with a 1984 60 HP Johnson on a Cox trailer for $3500. According to the sheet the motor has a new water pump, trim tilt motor, shift and throttle cables. The sellers phone number is 631-324-4772 in East Hampton, NY. I have never seen the boat, but would be glad to do so for an interested brother-in-Bertrams. Walter
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Need to know whether its a 13 or a 15 supersport... If its a 13, its grossly overpowered... If its a 15, thats a pretty good deal...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
In Memory Walter K

It is definitely a 15 Super Sport. I thought it was a good deal no matter what kind of condition. The picture of it looked pretty good.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Yep, thats def a good deal...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Face

Post by Face »

My buddy had a 13 super sport when we were younger with a 48 Evinrude. You couldn't prop it enough to keep rpm's below somewhere around 7k at max throttle. I don't remember the exact figure but needless to say he blew it up eventually as he couldn't stay out of the throttle.

15' with a 70hp does mid 40's mph. 60hp is plenty.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

called that number but they said no boat. Who knows, I probably dialed the wrong #
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

With a 70hp, 15s can be scarey fast .... a 60 is fine. A 15 is a lot more boat than a 13, due to the "V" entry on the hull and will not "beat ya up" as much as a 13 when it's choppy. Both GREAT boats and at that price a nice addition to any fleet. I used to run my 13 or 15s from Sag Harbor to Greenport in the early AM (before winds and wakes kick up) for a cup of 7-11 coffee .... just pure FUN.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
In Memory Walter K

I had 631-324-4772, but will go back to the marina to double check it.
In Memory Walter K

That's the number posted.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

thanks walter will call again today with the hopes of seeing that boat.
John F.

Post by John F. »

It interesting that a fair number of the faithful also have whalers--the 13 whaler that started it all was a Ray Hunt design. Beautiful day yesterday on the Chesapeake--spent the afternoon pulling my daughter and her friends around on a tube behind my BW Montauk. The 15s are nice--my introduction to fishing a B31 was with a friend who had a BW 15 with a 70 and his dad had a B31 gasser out of Barnegat Light.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

It is pretty wild to think that the same guy designed the boats that started Boston Whaler and Bertram .... kinda makes you think he knew his s__t !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
In Memory Walter K

There are leaders and there are followers...and there are a lot more followers. You can add me to the group of Bertram owners who have also owned Whalers. My first boat was a 16'7" Montauk. Given I didn't know what the hell I was doing, that boat saved my ass many times. The fact that I used to take it into the rips at Montauk for Bass still amazes me. If ours is The Best Boat Ever Built, I would call the Boston Whaler The Most Forgiving Boat Ever Built.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

What was the name on that 31 out of Barnegat Light. I used to know a couple of those guys.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Don't remember. The owner's name is/was Manny Pires. Looong time ago--probably 1982.
neil

Post by neil »

that boat was sold two weeks ago
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

I New Manny. My dad and I were over his house once and we paired up once to run offshore but it got too rough and we both had to turn back.

The Four Aces was the name on the boat. He lived in High Bar Harbor. He used to put a 50 gallon bladder on the bow when he went off shore. Our boat is a 75. His was somewhere around a 77. I remember talking on the radio with his son once but I don't remember meeting him.

I have not seen that boat around in years.

Small world. Did you live up this way?
John F.

Post by John F. »

Tony-

When I first got out of school, I got a job and moved to Allendale, NJ. I met Manny's oldest kid, Joe, through a friend. They lived in Frankln Lakes. We used to go to his shore house on weekends alot. I left the area after a couple of years, and lost touch with Joe. Long time ago, but lots of fun. Small world.

John