Cormorant Princess rides again

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

Cormorant Princess rides again

Post by Brewster Minton »

Splashed this morning. Fired right up. Took a ride out the inlet. Runs like a scalded cat. Everything Perfect. Yea!
Carl

Post by Carl »

I love "Splash Day" when it All go Right!

Good to hear!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

And here's a toast to you Brew.....With Cormorant Princess in the water with Brew at the helm there is a Tuna in trouble somewhere.....

You go gettem my friend

H
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ALL is quiet out there i past your inlet yesterday about 6pm .i was flying running from montauk to fi inlet better then 30 knots all the way.i saw one boat at montauk off the lighthouse and not one other boat between inlets.well at least you splash there are some inshore bass but nothing to get crazy over.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Good news Brew!!!

We splashed last Friday. 2 trips under our belt. Feels good when it all works huh.

Have a great year my friend, see you on the rip.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
randall

Post by randall »

i surfed montauk yesterday and didnt see a single boat go by.

good luck brew!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

why randall ? i rounded the point about 5pm and expected to see charter boats at great eastern or the elbow --------nothing .i saw birds working off block but thats about it .funny thing i think back to the many years i use to give the "finger" to those big sport fisherman that would come in the inlet and drive close to the little boats hugging the bouys -----now i am one of those pricks,seriously this 510 bertram draws 5' of water and just off plane like 7'. you have to be right on in the bay.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

bob lico wrote:....funny thing i think back to the many years i use to give the "finger" to those big sport fisherman that would come in the inlet and drive close to the little boats hugging the bouys -----now i am one of those pricks,seriously this 510 bertram draws 5' of water and just off plane like 7'. you have to be right on in the bay.
They only give you the finger if you don't slow down when you run past them. I was taught not to do that in any boat we've ever owned or run, it's just not safe. I would hope you wouldn't run fast pass small boats drifting, then there would be no reason for anyone to give you anything but a wave and a hello. But if you don't slow down, well then the finger is the least that you deserve.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I fished Montauk last Saturday (opening of the Fluke season) and today, and if you don't believe we have a recession of major magnitude on eastern Long Island, you have to be blind. I have fished these waters in one form or another since 1957 and have never seen it so bad. Memorial Day weekend is upon us and half the slips are empty. Despite what you may read in the fishing columns, the fishing sucks too. The Bass are small, keeper Fluke are fewer than you are led to believe, and it's VERY quiet.
Brewster Minton

Fished today and two keeper fluke out of 15. Bluefish everywhere. Some bass at nite behind the big boat. All small. Half the slips filled here.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Walter and Brewster- there is absolutely a huge difference in the water traffic in the region. One week from Memorial day and most boats are still on the hard? Unheard of in my memory. A lot of People are just hunkered down still.
Brewster Minton

The yard is still filled with boats on the hard. The latest I have put in in 16 years. Just too much stuff going on. A bunch of boats the owners told the yard to keep it they are broke. They are going to chop some of them up and put them in the dumpster. Going to fill up some milk crates with hardwhare.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

consider the fact you are allowed one bluefin tuna under 48" ,so the only fish i run into is a school of bluefin in the canyon . hmm lets see 500 gallons at $1710.00 bait , food , drinks,wear and tear . that 35 lbs tuna cost a little less then $ 100.00 a pound !!!! i hope to see a whale at least!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

IF you limit out on a Montauk half day charter you can take home 2 Bass and 2 Fluke. That's it. Add up the cost of fuel driving out and back from wherever you are, breakfast and lunch, charter cost plus a decent (fair) tip to the mate and its become an expensive sport even for a non boat owner. You can buy a lot of fish right across the street from the boats at Gosmans for those bucks. If you live in NYC, it makes more sense to charter fish New Jersey waters whose fish laws are more liberal. I can vouch for the fact that many Montauk charters USED to come from New Jersey regulars. No more...and the motel owners and restaurants are also feeling the pinch. Chartering for a weekend used to be common. Stay over, eat dinner out. Now, those who come drive out in the early AM and drive right back. Everyone trying to make a living out east is feeling it big time. We locals are forced to pay $4.95 a pound for a green pepper because the stores are trying to make up their income on the summer visitors who do come out and pay it. As has been said, it ain't like it used to be, and for those of us who have seen what it used to be, it's especially sad.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

the bass are just starting to come into the area , still big scools off jersey and jamaca bay, we have a pair of minke whales off the beach, one pair off the rockaways and another off long beach, there doing a nunber on the bait, last year it was the dolfins, its the same around here half the yards still have boats on the hard still shrink wrapped
randall

Post by randall »

i'm sad to say i'm one of those folks not putting in this year. i'll still get on the water every day in a kayak, a surfboard, a canoe , a stand up paddle board, or the inflatable......but i cant swing the bertram. its almost memorial day and there are LOTS of empty slips at the town dock.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'm still on the hard for awhile...no time.

But in the Bay they were doing one hell of a job on the Stripers... Plentiful, Nice sizes...44lbs was the biggest I heard so far...but many in the mid thirties.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I've never caught a tuna before July, so I'm waiting to splash......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

In CT it does not look to be too different. The marina I winter at does seem to have most boats in the water. But there are a lot more yet to arrive.

In my case Alchemy is still under shrink wrap. Kinda tough to see, but I plan to rip it off and get started next weekend. Water is cold still, and I don't see much entertainment before Memorial day in my area. With refereeing for rowing all spring, it makes no sense to put her in the water to sit most of the spring and rot the zincs.

If I am in within the next couple weeks I will be happy. I have to do touch up on the bottom, wax the hull and strip the teak in the cockpit. I think I need to do a quick sand of that deck, to knock down the black strips, only the second time in 9 years. Not bad. Plus I have to cut out and patch a couple bubbles in the black caulking. No problem!

D
Harv

Post by Harv »

Windstar is still sans engines and will stay under wraps this year. Hoping the yard can finish my little boat and maybe splash that sometime this year.
Harv
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

all yards are in the same situation, you have people who have ready boats not wanting to use them, no rush at all to go in.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have my boat in about a month and it`s same old thing i catch bluefish, 29" and 33" stripe bass and the few sharpies come back with 42" on up stripe bass . some even score inside the inlet under bridges and state channel .they are catching some kind of bait 4am and come back limited out at 930 am.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I hope that you have obtained the required salt water fishing license.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

Dont need one. Southhampton town resident.
In Memory Walter K

Bob- My experience years ago in the Long Beach "inside" areas (under overpasses and bridge abutments) was a steady stream of clam bellies at either the end of or the beginning of a tide.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thats what i have been doing but nothing more then the 30" type . oddly enough bunker chunks produced nothing but cocktail blues . maybe i need jp`s son as a guide or team up with charlie out west (jones inlet).the only baitfish i have seen is shiners /spearing .i have not really gone out of the bay yet for bass . i will wait until they are in the mouth of the inlet and go out in small craft warnings ,i have the place to myself without looking over my shoulder the only fish on the FI reef are sea bass so far.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Baby fluke work great. Not that I would ever do that. Its been real good though.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Sea Bass taste better and might be easier for yah.

yum! yum! Sea Bass
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hey, they lifted the Federal ban on Sea Bass??? I know a few people who still think it's in effect.
In Memory Walter K

Season's open in NY State.