Tape glue

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Tape glue

Post by Bruce »

I wonder when exactly 3M decided to make all their tape glue about as useless as boobs on a nun.

The last few years at the shop and now painting the house I buy the premium 3m blue or masking tape and it won't stay stuck worth a damn.

I remember as a kid masking tape would pull your skin off.

Other than the real high dollar green tape, anybody use another brand that sticks better?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

As was explained to me, all the blue tapes are not the same. You have to read the (almost same) labels as they have varying degrees of adhesion...yet they are usually displayed together in the stores. They seem to be calibrated on a basis of time (how long the tape will be up before being peeled off). It also seems their earlier stuff was so good, that unless removed soon, very slowly and carefully, it took off the surface of what it was put on. If you left it on for a few days, it became almost impossible...thus this new series of "blue" masking tapes.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Ahhhh the many species of masking tapes...

Used to be you could only get the off white, mild adhesive, normal masking tape we all know.
Then, in the early 90's 3M came out with "long mask".. which was the first version of the blue tape. The deal with the long mask was that it could be left on the substrate, in full UV exposure, for up to 14 days, and peel off clean. This was a substantial benefit for painters, the old white stuff would leave the majority of it's adhesive on the substrate after 3 or 4 days in the sun...major PITA to clean off.
They followed the long mask with a green tape, forget the name. The green tape was solvent resistant, and able to keep a clean line with "hot solvents" like xylene, toulene, mek, laq. thinner, etc.
Then what happened is it became "trendy" to use the blue tape. Not sure why... I'm guessing it had something to do with some BS like "you don't look professional unless you're using the blue tape".. Thats when it got crazy.

Shur-tape came out with one or two lines of their own blue tape, I think it was geared at easy removal after time.

3M at some point stopped making the long mask, and split their blue tapes into three catagories (I think):
1. blue high adhesive masking tape (for tough to mask areas- stucco, text.wood, etc.)
2. blue masking tape (replaced the long-mask, med.adhesion,easy removal)
3. delicate surface tape (for freshly painted or varnished surfaces, very-very sticky, gives great lines, yet removes like a breeze)
I can differentiate these at a glance, cause I'm using then daily, but 3M lists what type it is on the cardboard spool as well.

3M also has changed the solvent resistant greeen tape. I beleive now it is
a high adhesive masking tape, maybe replacing the blue hi-adhesive...

Shur-tape now has a dark blue, high adhesive, easy removal tape- good shit. And they intro'd "frog tape" about a year back. Frog tape is the equivilent to the 3M delicate surface tape, also good, but at about $10 a roll, it better be.

Bruce, whatya taping? Textured stucco? I'd say to just stick with good ol white tape.
Unless you've got some special situation, always stick w. the white tape, it costs about 1/4 of the blue.
Unless you're one of those guys that likes to spend much more than needed to get the same results... Not likely.

Also, if it's stucco make sure you clean it off prior to taping. Any dirt, mildew, or loose sand will screw the pooch.
Early a.m. is a no go for taping too, due to condensation/dew buildup, let the sun burn it off prior to masking.
Any chalking on the old paint will prevent tape adhesion too...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

buju
you could be a salesman for 3 m
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Buju, you know way too much. What other place could you get info like that. Bertram31.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I guess what I'm thinking is supposed to be the high adhesive tape in reality is not and just a medium adhesive.

The problem with box home supply stores I've found is even though the labels say higest quality, they in fact are not. Or are the higest quality for those stores which usually focus on price rather than quality.

Like when Builders Square was around, most of the merchandise was factory seconds.

I hate this price over quality mentality people have today.
Buju

Post by Buju »

you could be a salesman for 3 m
I guess Charlie, but not with honest advice like:
Unless you've got some special situation, always stick w. the white tape, it costs about 1/4 of the blue.

That just aint condusive to high profit margins at all..
I hate this price over quality mentality people have today.
Yeah Bruce, me too. I think JP said it best... something along the lines of "everyone is willing to throw their mom under a bus to save a nickel"...
Proud to say...I still buy my:
paint from a paint store
lumber from a lumber yard
plumbing & electical from a specialty supply..

getting hard to do though... not many left.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.