tower station question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

offshore31

tower station question

Post by offshore31 »

I replaced my bridge canvas, and this project has become the classic onion. Removed all of my antannaes, the upper station etc. to put the new canvas on. While the tower station was down i decided to replace the corroded handles on the controls. Turns out they don't make the handles anymore (morse) and the new replacement ones are just slightly different. So now the new handles hit the steering wheel because of the size and angle.

I figure a simple solution is to just replace the piece that the steering wheel and controls are mounted to, and just move the controls over 1/2". The piece is ~3/4" and looks like white plexi glass. Is it just plexi glass? If not, does anyone know what it's made out of and where to order one?

Thanks
Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Easier to shop around for the older, shorter Morse control levers? If I am not mistaken, Charman Enterprises at 1-800-247-6324 bought all of Morse's inventory when Teleflex bought it. Give them a call. Walter
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

thanks Walter.

but it's not a length, rather a width issue. They're a little wider, and not quite as deep where they connect to the controls. So they stick out a little. The originals were real close as it was (maybe 1/8-1/4" clearance with the wheel). So the new ones hit the wheel. I'm not sure i can return them, but will check and call the guys you mentioned.

on the other hand, everythings already apart and i wouldn't mind replacing that piece anyway. the prior owner(s) had drilled a bunch of holes in it so it looks like crap. it's just pulling the steering wheel off and 4 screws and i can replace it.

Just don't know what material is used, plexi glass, starboard?
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

joe
have the control handles re chromed
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Thanks, that might be the easiest way out of this.
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Starboard would work as a replacement. It could be lexan that is there now.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31