Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Nice fish. Happy kid!
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Way to go Harry, all smiles.
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Hey Harry is it true you caught that grouper using charcoal??? Had a blast. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
scot

Post by scot »

Nice Harry.

Kids getting a day out on the ocean is priceless and a life time of memories. Good stuff.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Fer youz guys that don't know the pics above feature my grandson and one of our Bertram brothers here.....Mr Bob Higgins (Bob H) as well as myself.

Bob came down from Mass for the fishing trip.....I have to tell you he put a different twist on catching Grouper....He (Bob) was instrumental in catching the grouper in the picture.....and for bait he used CHARCOAL.....

Who is going to ask Bob how to get charcoal on the hook???? He seems to be very good at it.....quite a fisherman

H
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

What time is din-din? I'm on the way.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Way to go Harry and Bob.
Charcoal? plese splain.............
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I was inside eating Pineapple.....all I seen was a bag of Charcoal go overboard then a grouper come aboard......

It was almost biblical.....Bob was able to convert charcoal to fish....then fed many.....

Harry
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Andre, It goes like this....grouper fisherman love to eat hot burgers...tired of eatn fish...find one that has run out of charcoal on a four day trip....good ol fashioned horse trading...50 miles out...we got charcoal n you got lots of grouper....my favorite fish from that trip was Trigger fish...go figure...sure was tasty...best part of the trip was fishn with great people....Harry, Chris, Angie, Allen, Chris...top shelf...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Great story, Harry. Janine is still laughing......out loud!
randall

Post by randall »

pretty funny.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Years ago there was a private boat in Montauk called "Petty Cash" that came in with a big Swordfish every day for 5 consecutive days. He was caught doing that with foreign fishing vessels that were not allowed to keep them. The trade was a case or two of Budweiser per fish. It upset "the boys" at the Fulton Fish Market and they paid him a visit. It stopped real quick.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Money has no value once you clear the shore line. Way back in the 70's it was pretty common to trade with the shrimp boaters, cigarettes and beer for diesel fuel......of course if you had wacky weed you could get shrimp, fuel and most anything else that they had aboard.....(So I have been told!!!!)

How bout this......A barge that looks like an ice cream truck.....playing music like an ice cream truck.....drive around the ocean.....providing goods and services desired by your select group of customers???

How many pounds of shrimp is a Whopper worth???

H
hb
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

I've wondered about that...a floating convenience store/bait shop. Just cruise the intracoastal selling beer, bait, and make some grilled stuff on the side.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

We would bring beer and two or three daily papers to the shrimp boats off Key West and get all the chum we could carry. Up here we bring good stuff to the scallop boats and they take care of us by pulling the rig and dumping it for us behind the boat. We crush the bluefin after that.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Kurt wrote:I've wondered about that...a floating convenience store/bait shop. Just cruise the intracoastal selling beer, bait, and make some grilled stuff on the side.

It was tried in my Harbor...apparently alot of the wrong toes were being stepped on...now its just a conversation piece moored n the harbor.