Bottom Paint

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

Bottom Paint

Post by Capt.Frank »

Tomorrow my hull get ash blasted. So once I get the blisters fixed and barrier coat on. Do I use hard paint or ablative paint. If I continue using hard Pedit Trinidad. Do you still sand hull when repainting? I like the hard paint I can get 2 or 3 years on one paint job. Just dive and scrap and change zinic yearly. I don't want to damage barrier coat in future. Just woundering what everyone else does.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Frank,

If you're getting good service from, and are happy with, the hard paint, then stick to that.

After your barrier coats, the first of three coats of bottom paint should be of a totally different color than what you want for the second two coats. When you see the odd ball color starting to appear you'll know it's time to repaint...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Maybe I'm just lazy...but for me the days of sanding the bottom for hours and hours is over.

I touch up yearly as required. Usually due to the Yards mandatory pressure washing...even though my bottom is clean. Otherwise I just leave it alone. Hardly any buildup...but when I need to sand...the ablative paint comes off like sanding auto-primer...real quick.

My .02
John F.

Post by John F. »

Frank-

I used Trinidad for years. Great paint. When it got over $200 gallon, I tried BW or West hard paint for $50-80 gallon on my Whaler first, and then the following year on my B31. The whatever/cheap brands (West since BW went under) have worked fine here on the Chesapeake. Just a thought.

I don't sand--just scrape the bad spots, and paint. After sanding every spring for years, I had a Petit rep. tell me that it was OK to paint over old paint without sanding fo the paint wasn't flaking--he was right.

John
Carl

Post by Carl »

John F. wrote:Frank-

I used Trinidad for years. Great paint. When it got over $200 gallon, I tried BW or West hard paint for $50-80 gallon on my Whaler first, and then the following year on my B31. The whatever/cheap brands (West since BW went under) have worked fine here on the Chesapeake. Just a thought.

I don't sand--just scrape the bad spots, and paint. After sanding every spring for years, I had a Petit rep. tell me that it was OK to paint over old paint without sanding for the paint wasn't flaking--he was right.

John
But after years all that old hard paint really builds up and the flaking gets worse.

Kind of a pay now or pay later deal.

Some guys on my dock use Worst Marine ablative and others the hard...say they have good results.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

sim wrote:Maybe I'm just lazy...but for me the days of sanding the bottom for hours and hours is over.

Usually due to the Yards mandatory pressure washing...even though my bottom is clean.

My .02

the smell is usually why, it can be rancid

I never suggest pushing more then a extra season from bottom paint.
If you have to get hauled mid season to get washed and painted there goes any savings by NOT painting the boat.

Use a good ablative paint and you should not have to sand anymore either.

I also dont bother with the alternate coats of bottom paint, if the boat gets hauled and you see gray primer its time to paint.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Pettit Ultima Pro ablative
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Rawleigh wrote:Pettit Ultima Pro ablative
I second the Pettit Ultima. My boat stays in for 2 > 3 years. The Ultimate works great.
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Thanks guys. I'll look at other paints.
1976 FBC
3208 NA