Uncle Vic's Swimp Cakes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Uncle Vic's Swimp Cakes

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Time for a new recipe. I've been making stuffed crabs lately, one of my favorite things. Ran across some medium size swimps (shrimp to you yankees) in the back of the freezer that had been there way too long. So invented a way to do something with them, similar to the crab stuffing, that turned out "slap yo' momma" good:

* a pound of peeled raw swimps;
* a stick of butter;
* one large white onion;
* three green onions;
* one stick of celery;
* 6 or 8 cloves of garlic;
* four tablespoons of lemon juice;
* sea salt;
* half a cup of dry sherry;
* quarter cup of olive oil;
* two eggs;
* one and a half cups of Italian bread crumbs.

Chop the onions, celery, and garlic up fine in a food processor then saute' down in half stick of butter in a skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until tender (about 15-20 minutes). Add one tablespoon of sea salt, two tablespoons of lemon juice, and a quarter cup of sherry as you saute' the veggies.

Put the bread crumbs in a mixing bowl (I use the Bride's big fancy Kitchenaid mix-master) and pour the contents of the saute' skillet on top of the bread crumbs.

Take your raw swimps and saute' them down in a half stick of butter, about a quarter cup of olive oil, quarter cup of sherry, and two tablespoons of lemon juice with enough sea salt to get them slightly salty. You can dust the swimps saute' with some garlic and onion powder. Saute' the swimps just long enough for them to turn pink, say no more than 5 minutes. Now pour the swimps and saute' juice in the food processor and pulse a few times to chop them coarse. Then pour the chopped swimps and saute' into the mixing bowl with the bread crumbs and saute' veggies and slowly - and gently - mix all this up and add in the two raw eggs as you mix. I use the paddle on the mixer for this as it does not bust up the swimps any finer than I've already chopped them.

Now look at your mix; it should be moist but stiff enough to hand mold into hamburger size patties. If its too runny, add some bread crumbs and mix up again; if too thick, add some olive oil and mix up.

Pat out your patties and place on oiled aluminum foil on a cookie sheet with a pat of butter on top of each one and bake for 25 minutes at 350. Makes 8 swimp cakes.

UV
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

"Slap Yo Momma Good" ..... I haven't heard that one in quite a while !! :-D
Last edited by Bertramp on May 4th, '10, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You forgot the 1/2 bottle of vodka to keep the naturaly occuring bacteria in the air at bay.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Whew!
On my way to da sto'
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Its a great way to fix swimps that maybe have been in the freezer too long and gotten a little rubbery. Notice zero pepper; real coonass food uses little or no pepper. I've never been much on red pepper and after a combo of chemo and radiation I can't tolerate any of it.

The crab cakes/stuffed crab mix is the same except you don't saute the crabmeat, just gently mix it right in with the bread crumbs and veggies. I had 8 medium crab shells I stuffed and left out the eggs for them, but for patties the egg helps bind it all together. I re-use the shells by boiling them out for about 15 minutes, then keep 'em in the freezer in a zip lock.

Y'all try this one, I guaranteeeee it will knock your socks off.

UV