Construction-getting to the tank hose and vent fittings?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

redcat20

Construction-getting to the tank hose and vent fittings?

Post by redcat20 »

Have a '70 24 Baron. Original gas and vent hoses. Look ok, but thought I might replace them anyways. Has a cockpit bolster attached to a side panel and then some sort of piece hanging down to conceal the wire run. Not obvious to me how the pieces come apart so I can access the deck/hull fittings and remove and replace the hoses. Does anyone out there know?
Redcat20
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Red,

While important, those two hoses aren't critical items as long as they aren't leaking during fill up or with a full tank of fuel, and there are no dips in the hoses below the top of the tank. If those three items check out OK, spend your efforts on another project.

One critical item, especially for a gas boat, is that your metal fuel fill port must be properly grounded to protect from a static electricity arc.

An item that I had on one gas boat was an 8 gauge electrical wire about 6' long. One end had a fair sized spring clip soldered on and the other had a 6 oz egg sinker soldered on. Before I ever stuck the fuel nozzle in the port or triggered the nozzle, the cable was attached to the nozzle and the weight was over the side and in the water. This was not in lieu of grounding the fill port, but in addition to it...
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

most likely remove the bolster to expose screws holding the box over the hoses.

If they are truly original hoses they are not approved for alcohol fuels and will probably be very cracked, dry, and brittle.

Doubtful they have made it in the boat since 1970, even if they are from the 80s they still do not meet current standards.
redcat20

Fuel & Vent Hoses

Post by redcat20 »

Update.
Bolsters have "studs" which come out from them, through some fiberglass and on into the side "kick panels". Studs and nuts, after 40 years were stuck.
To get them out, I had to saw them out, holding the blade in my hand, as there was no clearance for the saw handle. What a job-hours.
Finally got it apart. Was concerned about some minor cracking on the vent hose near the tank.
Decided to replace both hoses while have the thing apart. Can see the ground wires on the fuel fill. One runs down to the tank, unsure where the other one ends up. There's a ground on the vent, too.
More work to go to put them back in and figure out a new way of reattaching the bolsters- likely some 3200/4200, as I can't get into the studs without taking the bolsters apart. Not up for that currently. Thanks for the input.
Redcat20