need more paint advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

need more paint advice

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Faithful - I'm still at it on the 1962 Whaler. Have followed Buju's paint schedule with the Interlux Pre-Kote primer and the Brightside finish cut a little with the 333 brushing fluid. Great stuff.

The Brightside needs two coats in most places. Should I sand the gloss off between coats? If so, use something like 180 or 220 grit? Or finer? I have plenty of 400 and 600 around the shop.

The surface prep, including the glass work, has been a major deal, good thing I'm retired.

UV
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

if not too far along already ... and you are brushing, try interlux Perfection ... a lot stronger and longer lasting.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
In Memory of Vicroy

Too late to change, already have one coat of the Brightsides on the boat. Just need to know if and how to sand the Brightsides before adding the second coat. Remember, I confess to being the world's worst painter. My handiwork so far is quite admirable for a lousy painter with poor eyesight and little incentive to do it right, that is.

I cannot fathom how you guys can work on a damn boat for years and years.....I have tired of this 13 foot demon in just a few weeks.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

UV,

Sand the first coat when it's fully dry/cured with 320 dry. Wipe it all down with either denatured alcohol or the recommended thinner for the Brightside paint.

Are we having fun yet?
John F.

Post by John F. »

Hang in there UV. I painted my kids' old dingy in the garage using brightsides. It came out pretty good, except for one spot. That's where I left the garage light on, and the bugs cooperated by flying into/around it, dieing, and then dropping dead onto the fresh paint. Through it back in the water bugs and all and nobody noticed.

Gotta' do a light sand to knock the gloss off, wipe down, and then I rolled and tipped with a small foam roller and foam brushes--nice results and saves on the clean-up.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

if you were just looking for better coverage and did not care about the brush marks there is a overcoat time frame that you adhere to where you dont have to sand between coats.

It could be 24-72 hours or more.

If you want to knock the brush marks down then of course you have to sand........ and brush............... and sand............... and brush..........
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks Faithful...yeah, I'm lovin' this crap Patrick. I'm gonna sand and put one more coat then declare victory.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic wrote:I cannot fathom how you guys can work on a damn boat for years and years.....
First of all you must be a lonely person without a life! ! ! !

Secondly...you have to ask yourself several times a day "What in the hell was I thinking"

Then you have to think about the little mouse in the forest.....then you'll remember why you need a Bertram! ! ! !

H
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Unfortunately once you get North of 50 it doesn't matter, the elephant the Vette or the Bert don't help. You need to show them the little blue pill that you take.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Tony wrote:Unfortunately once you get North of 50 it doesn't matter
LOL.......I am afraid that you spoke a very true statment.......but in my mind I am still 35 years old (used to be 25) but in reality I am 58 years old.......cannot understand why its taking me over 2 years to get DeNada back in the water...my brain says "Aint nothing to it....Walla Walla Bing Bang" and your done........but my body says go home and see what your buds on B31 are doing......DeNada will still be here tomorrow.

I have a lot of little stories.....the Elephant and the Mouse are among my favorite......my son had a Jeep when he was 15 years old......He bragged about "Picking up chicks" at the Gulf.......then I told him about the "Mouse and a Jeep".....he and I still laugh about that even today and tomorrow he turns 31 years old......

I'm still laughing bout the Elephant story.........

Harry
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

I am 59 and feel the same way. At least I got mine wet the end of last summer. Just shy of two years. You are doing a lot more than I did. I need to clean up some things before I am off and running this year.

Good Luck and get her wet.
randall

Post by randall »

dosent matter what you do....just keep movin.
In Memory of Vicroy

Or keep paintin'.....put the "final" coat of the Brightside on after sanding the previous coat dry with 320 grit per Ole Fart's directions. I must say, I have never gotten results this good with any paint project, period. And I'm a crappy painter, remember? It really came out looking like glass, zero brush marks and very smooth. Lots of time & trouble but a very good result. It took a quart of the Pre-Kote primer and a quart of the Brightside finish, both thinning a small amount (say 5-8%) with Interlux's 333 Brushing Fluid to do the 1962 13' Whaler. Two coats of primer and two of finish.

Now I'll let it dry for a few days then start putting the boat back together. Have new Whaler decals from Magic Brush, the OEM Whaler decal place. The little boat is gonna be slick as owl doo-doo.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

UV,

Let that paint job cure for at least a couple of weeks before doing anything else... Glad you're happy with the job.

Br,

Patrick
In Memory of Vicroy

Roger that, I'll let her sit for a while. Its gonna take me a few weeks to put it all back together before she goes to the camp for good.

Your 320 grit final sand is what did the trick. Thanks for all the help.

UV