Stringer Coring Material??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

Stringer Coring Material??

Post by scot »

What's you guy's favorite material to use as the coring on new stringer installations?...large diesel application.
Thanks Scot
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Scot,

Since I totally encapsilate the engine bed sisters with epoxy and fiberglass, then cap with channel, I just use plain old pine 2x4s milled to dimension & laminated edge to edge.

"Buddy boy" Engine Indtallation

Br,

Patrick
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Scot:

I used some of this company's product on my boat with great results. All composite, light and STRONG. Check out their website and you'll be impressed with their list of customers.

Tom

www.preforms.com
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks for the responses. The hi density foam is cool, do your mounts thru-bolt? and how $$$$ are their stringer products?

CaptPat...I've been using Woolmanized / pressure treated plywood for years in laminates. As you know polyester, or v-ester will not bond to this stuff. Before I use it I let it cure in the attic for 4-6 months. It will loose 50% of the original weight once the Texas sun has done a number on it and it completely dries out. I have been using epoxies with the pressure treated plywood without any bonding problems, I have never had any delamination issues.

I was thinking about using 4 pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated together for my stringers and of course completely encapsulating with 3 or 4 layers of 20oz cloth. I really like the 20oz because I can get it to lay well on inside corners and into any shape I need. I prefer thru-bolting my engine mounts with backing plates. Do you see any problems with this system for my stringers?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Scot:

I did not redo my stringers -- I used their products to build a support platform for my new composite cockpit deck. Anyplace where I was going to use mechanical fasteners, we drilled an oversized hole and laminated in solid fiberglass. Prices were very reasonable.

Tom
scot

Post by scot »

Capt Patrick

The more I ponder the stringers, the more I think I will opt for the channels on top. I'm sure you guys do this to stop the engine from settling over time and also stiffen the sisters. My current boat has the mounts thru bolted, the stingers are solid glass and the engine still need re-alignment after about 2 1/2 years of use.

Thanks
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0