Lucas CAV Injection pump leak

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ripsangler

Lucas CAV Injection pump leak

Post by Ripsangler »

My perkins has a Lucas CAV injection pump that is dripping from the throttle linkage. Can this be repaired without removing the pump from the engine or is this a major repair? Thanks in advance for any help. Kurt
capt2kids

Post by capt2kids »

Hi Kurt:

I have a phone number of a guy who rebuilds Lucas pumps.
He should be able to tell you.
310 200 9056.
Hope this helps. But remember this is a California number.
3 hours difference in time, dont want to wake him out of bed, haha.

Good luck with it. If u need a hand, let me know.
bob
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have found that some leak when the engine is cold and after running (up to normal operating temperature) the leak disappears. Take the boat out and run it, then check it again. Let us know. The alternative is removal and rebuilding. Big bill. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I need a model number but some of the CAV pumps have a welded on arm for throttle attachment and remove from the inside to replace the seal, others have a removable throttle arm off the shaft and can be done on the engine.

Replacing small seals in place can be tricky, but it can be done on the engine a good part of the time.
The biggest issues is what to use to remove the seal. Screw drivers to me are a no-no. Heavy duty dental picks work good. If you don't have a dental connection, tool places like Sears sells a kit of them.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bruce wrote:The biggest issues is what to use to remove the seal
If its a "Lip Seal" in a "Steel Shell" I drill a couple of small holes in the "Steel Shell" then thread a sheet metal screw into the hole just far enough to get the screw to "Bite"........then use vice grips to clamp onto the screw and a screw driver to pry aganist the vice grips and pull the seal out of the housing.

If its an Oring or Quadring up in the bore....that's a different story.

H
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

On a seal this size(small) and the possibility of metal shavings entering the pump, I wouldn't do it.
Ripsangler

Lucas CAV

Post by Ripsangler »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to take it to Perkins for an evaluation. I'm not going to mess with this one. Bob, I'll call you if I need help, Kurt