question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

merlin

question

Post by merlin »

Gents,

I am looking for some advice. I fish a 31 out of San Francisco. A couple of weeks ago I ran into what I believe was line coming off abandoned crab gear that got fouled in the running gear. I managed to work it loose
the wrong way by backing off etc. until it worked it's way free -- going for a swim was not an option in given weather.

I am getting a real high pitch whine at high rpms (2600+ on Cummins 6bta). I've hauled out and nothing is visible. Props have been
balanced, struts and cutlass bearings look fine. If anyone has some
ideas I'd be grateful.

thanks! Merlin
"Traveller", prev. run out of Bald Head Is, NC
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Merlin,

A high pitched whine or squeek/squeel coming from the running gear is almost always a bad cutlass bearing or something fouled up inside of it. This is assuming that the sound is not coming from under the engine box.

While a cutlass bearing may look OK from the outside, there could be a few strands of the line still wraped down inside...

If you're still on the hard, you might want to pull the shaft and get a better look.

Br,

Patrick
thereheis

question

Post by thereheis »

even if you think you got it all out it may have already damaged the cutlass inside. if the rope melted to the cutlass up inside and hardened it will create that hight pitch,,or you still might have some rope in the cutlass groves,,,melted .

phil
merlin

Post by merlin »

thanks, not really what I wanted to hear given I've just gone back in
the water but it is about the only thing making sense right now.

btw Patrick the rudders you sent me some time back are the real deal.
You may remember I sent you a pic of the old ones I had that were glassed over (and actually had slightly more surface area than the new ones) were no match for the new ones.

Merlin