fuel fill relocation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

fuel fill relocation

Post by Rocky »

So I've got the old tank out, it was easy actually.Put some pressure upward and left it there, after about a minute you can here what sounded like rice krispies as the foam sheared away. Went down to Disneyland with the family, came back with a fuel tank from Alex! Anyway, just wanted to get your input on fuel fill location, I wanted to relocate to the top center of the stern and with vent on starboard stern quarter just below rubrail. It would be easy access to both the pickup and fill if they were installed at the rear of the tank as well through the large rear center hatch. Any thoughts on this configuration?

Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

your boat did not have the subfloor?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

There is a thin false center section between those "drainage tubes" on center, is that your question Raybo? The deck was stripped of bertram's cosmetic vinyl stuff by previous owner and he just epoxied and nonskidded original deck which I'll use until funds for joists and fiberglass deck at a later date.
I was just thinking of fill in rear for ease of putting fuel in later and having the only two "holes " in tank completely accessable at rear hatch.
Raybo Marine NY

the tanks are usually sitting on a subfloor, they applied their adhesive to the bottom of the tank and depending on how much they felt like applying it could be the whole bottom of the tank or a little bit.

The absence of that subfloor meant less areas that the tank could have been bonded=easier to remove.

We had one pop out after a hour or so of messing with it, then the last one we had to make all kinds of cuts and lift it out- took a good 4-5 hours to break the damm thing free.

Now I have another one to do, wondering how this one will release.

As for relocating the fill and vent- I suggest just leaving it alone, once you put new hoses on both it will be many, many years before you have to mess with it again.
Marlin

fueltank

Post by Marlin »

I have a concern about the foaming created during filling and the close proximatey of the pickups. I have a custom boat with both being in same area and sucked air once, now we wait at least 10 mins prior to firing up the engines. The diagnosis came from a reliable boat builder
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

Rocky,

My comments are directed to diesel installation. I prefer the fill on the stbd. rail with the vent adjacent. I would think that you would want the vent as close to the fill as possible in case there is an overfill. My boat lives on a mooring and when we fuel, it is always stdb. to the dock.

I would like to suggest something about the tank vent. I did a lot of things to my boat. Among them was to install Capt. Pat's louvered air intakes. I put a Racor 'Lifeguard' fuel/air separator in the vent line and then brought the actual vent fitting out in the aft end of the intake box, up midway. Having the fitting up a bit, allows you to put an wad of 3M oilsorb in there for extra insurance while fueling. With quite a bit of experience with them, 'Lifeguards' have performed as described. The key is to keep them as verticle as possible.

Good luck. Glad you got one of Alex's two tanks. There is a guy out here hemming and hawing about one, he needs it, but it is pretty steep for him.

Ken
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

wow ken thats strange! i did every thing i could NOT to have the fill on one side or the other . i broke my balls changing everything to have dead center of trasom for fuel fill !!!!differant strokes for differant folks needless to say i would be humiliated to overfill in my own marina i will let it go at that!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for the input guys, I thought I heard somewere were you would put your diesel returns they should have there own tubes extending down similar to a pickup, exactly why I don't know. Bob, I know what you mean about fill at center, it just looks better! I have a rodholder in that location now and am willing to give it up for fuel fill. The clean look you know. As long as nobody has an objection to putting fiill/vent there it sounds like a plan to me. Ken I hear what your saying about racor inline, good thought. Any USCG regulation on placement of fill/pickup plates I could not find.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

My fill is on the starboard side and it IS close to a rod holder. I will NOT let anyone insert a fuel nozzle into it except myself. I have never gotten over two "dock boy" experiences I was witness to at Star Island many years ago. The first was a boat being filled through a rod holder directly into the bilge. The second was filling a gas boat (mine) with diesel.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rocky wrote: Any USCG regulation on placement of fill/pickup plates I could not find.
From what I know the only regulation is All fittings are to be on the Top of the Tank. Then of course the approved fuel lines, shut offs, grounding straps etc.

I have heard to keep the return lines away from the pickups so the fuel can cylce thru the tank and cool down...but then again I have seen pickups and returns mounted on the same plate without seeming to cause any issue.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I have heard to keep the return lines away from the pickups so the fuel can cylce thru the tank and cool down
Not really an issue with anything that would fit in a 31 other than an old detroit or the occasional 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag owner that wants to stuff something so big in there.
Last edited by Bruce on Apr 7th, '10, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rocky i put the fill in the middle of the transom so i could fill no matter how i pull up to the gas dock , but most of all not to pull that filthy damm hose over the teak gunnels!!!!! either way i put up port side,starboard side i put the nozzle into the fill with the hose facing the water.getting fuel or grease on the blonde teak is a definite piss me off day!!!!! soaks right in. i have no idea how you do it with fill on one side!!! so if it is on starboard side and i guy has this manacing bow pupit looking at you in a sea ray with black socks and nylon shorts you just pull right in!!!!!!!!
NOT!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

O.K. then, looks like I get to make those 6" oval holes in my brand new tank now, uhhh! Oh well, got to get it done. Thanks Bruce for your input as well.
Makes sense to put fill on center Bob, thanks and I'm sure possible future owner would like it there too.
Raybo Marine NY

I dont know why I read this and thought you just wanted to change the location for access to the hoses?

I think I need to wear my respirator more often
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rocky fuel vent goes in straight line at just below gunnel close to transom along with thru hulls from bilge pumps on port side . starboard side has vent from holding tank and the other bilge pumps ,everything even!! i copy off jupiter boats all 316 ss fitting and recessed right angled vents pointing up on interior side. your vent hose makes a 180 degree turn.--------------no water can go in in vent!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

OK,

Many comments having been made.. am I the only guy who believes in Racor 'Lifeguards'?

Go into a place like Nantucket and they literally blow the fuel into your tank. What's left in the tank before fueling is hot and it all foams up. I will use all means to not be an environmental spectacle.

Yes, Bob, it would be humiliating, expensive and a fantastic display of poor seamanship...way beyond the 'just doesn't get it' factor. That is why I try to make certain that a spill never happens.

Ken
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I also need to make gaskets for plates onto tank, what material should I use, silicone rubber sheet, or polyether from a tube of some sort? Any sealing material info greatly appreciated.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

1/8" cork & Permatex Ultra Gray. Both available from Napa...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rocky wrote:I also need to make gaskets for plates onto tank, what material should I use, silicone rubber sheet, or polyether from a tube of some sort? Any sealing material info greatly appreciated.
Just make sure whatever you use in Not Fuel Soluble. Last owner of my boat made that mistake...he had to drain the tank and clean out all the lines.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Will do, thanks Carl and Capt Pat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ken

Not to hijack the thread but I have been looking at installing a Life guard.