Gen and a/c

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

Gen and a/c

Post by Russ Pagels »

here are the choices, for a/c. each 16btu ,marine air or wabsato air . for generators, we have mase 4.0,phasor 6.5, onan 5.0. which are the best? thanks in advance...Russ
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Phasor 6.5 is several classes above the others, a man among boys.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Stay away from Marine Airr, Webasto.

Phasor on the gen set.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have mase 4.0 yanmar engine . works on a differant cooling principle then other generators.basicly cooling thru radiator as oppose to circulating water in block.the concept is good keeping salt water out of block.personally i like phasor but so far so good with mase.incidently great sound proofing inclosure with mase, if that is important to you.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

thanks,UV,bob ,Bruce. Bruce who do you recommend for the a/c?...Thanks Russ
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Sorry my comment in the ac sorta indicated Webasto was an issue, it was not. Go with them.

Bob,
I was a Mase dealer who sold many of their gen sets and used them on a few 31's.

Their treatment of customers, difficulty of getting in contact with the FT Lauderdale factory rep for authorization on everything warrantee was enough to send them packing for me.

The small units use a Yanmar industrial air cooled engine with a salt water cooled radiator that cools the surrounding air to keep the engine cool.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Bruce, any thoughts on either cruisair,or mermaid..Thanks Russ
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

Guys,
I bought a 12,000 BTU Flagship A/C unit about 7 years ago.

It is all stainless and unlike many of the white painted varieties 7 years later it still looks new. It hasn't missed a beat in 7 years. I was able to install it in the head locker. I replaced the glass doors with sliding panels with a 14x14" teak vent and air filler.

If you haven't considered Flagship for your A/C I would certainly recommend giving them a look.

regards,
Mike Dolan
www.lightningshack.com
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Russ,
I was a dealer for both and had no major issues with either.

None of the companies make the compressor, some make the other components, some buy everything and are a builder and reseller.

Small independant marine AC companies pop up from time to time. Some hang around, some do not. Choose from a company who's been in business at least 3 to 5 years as they have some type of track record.
John F.

Post by John F. »

FWIW, I have a Cruisair 12K BTU AC only (no heat) with the regular (not digital) controls and its worked fine for the past 8 years. It doesn't get used much though, but when it does, it works.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Let me add one thing as a maintenance item on AC's that have a reversing valve(reverses the flow of freon so the evap and condensor switch) to provide heat.

Make sure you work the heat function a few times a year. The reversing valve can become sticky. It can sometimes not work at all or stick in the heat position and then has to be replaced.