This weekend I learned Corvettes don't float...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

This weekend I learned Corvettes don't float...

Post by Carl »

I kind of knew this before or at least I surmised it...but now I know for sure.
Corvettes do not float. However Dock Box's do.

I also learned the dog will not have to "go out" till the water gets to waist height.

It was a great weekend...thought I'd share.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Oh no!
coolair

Post by coolair »

ouch!
at least it wasnt the million dollar bugatti the dumb ass here in houston drove into the marsh at 80mph
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Pictures? You would think they would - being built from fiberglass and all.
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

JeremyD wrote:Pictures? You would think they would - being built from fiberglass and all.
if a 63' boat cant stay afloat I dont think a Corvette would, lol
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

What horrible news! Ugh!
Carl

Post by Carl »

coolair wrote:ouch!
at least it wasnt the million dollar bugatti the dumb ass here in houston drove into the marsh at 80mph
At least he got to drive it into the marsh...mine was un-insured and blocked up in the garage.

I do have pictures...give me a few days as I am just getting around to talking about it now.

Ah...such is life.
coolair

Post by coolair »

oh that just makes me sick! i love vettes, i want one so bad! i am sorry to hear this happened to such a wonderful car! :) and you too.
look on the bright side though, the fiberglass wont rust, maybe you can salavage her. what year was she?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Sorry to hear that Carl !!! Not sure if I want to see pictures, Damn that sucks. Well, we all know you've got the talent to refurbish it, hope all goes well.
Carl

Post by Carl »

coolair wrote: what year was she?
She's not dead...if this engine bit the bullet I have a spare on the shelf. Fortunately that's on the shelf here at work and not the shelf in the garage.
Drained the water from the motor, pulled the plugs...guess I'll find out shortly how bad it is...

Interior is toast, started ripping that out.

It's a 1980, last year before the computers made their way into the cars and the last year they made stick till the new style came out. Bought it twenty five years ago and tackled just about every aspect of the car, engine, paint suspension, exhaust, tunes. Maybe I should have put in Air Bags... Took it off the road a few years ago when the kids came along...it was Car or Boat. I like the boat more...and it floats!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sim thats terrible .one good note 1980 corvette everything available from long island corvette . you know of course before bertram i was corvette bob. i had 11 of them and my partner bill meese from s& k is the national ncrs judge. i sold my 1967 -427 coupe two years ago ,that was the last for me .anything i can do give me a ring.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I know the '80 vette, my father had raced one in the ITGT class from the SCCA road racing circuit. It had a balanced and blueprinted 350, too bad we didn't have the money to keep that rear end from twitchin sideways from the factory suspension design! That vette got it. Laguna Seca raceway(Monteray Bay) and Sears Point were our main circuits we ran it.
Fun times.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Was that the 375 hp or the 425 horse 427 Bob........................maybe tri power..............excuse me I need a cold shower....................

I had a 67 Camaro with a 427. The heart still beats a little faster when I think about it!

Ahhh big blocks......................
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that was a 427-400hp tri-power hydralic lifters ,10.25 compression .the 435 hp was top dog at 435 hp and 11.25 compression except for the 17 - L88 motors now worth 800,000 a piece. the 435hp cars bring in a honest 150,000+ with full documentation.so they are basicly useless except a show car.my engine was totally blue printed and internally she was all L-88 except cam and lifters . car was terrible on the street with stock "bicycle" tires and could not go to far because the only place i could get gas was local airport and even at that it took hours to fill out paperwork and wait for fuel truck. there are limited high performance planes on long island nowdays.car was in magazines,calenders no big deal all and all like having another wife!!.you can`t put on blocks in garage because 4 piston brakes were alluminum and pitted,then the tell tale brake fluid drip on floor,if you go stainless non stock minus points. like i said not what you think unless a a/c showroom.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Man thats a sad deal.. Hope it gets better.
Wayne
ps with my accrual money I built a 57 chevy with a 327 300hp w/ muncie 4speed outta a 63 or 64 Vette.. I still miss that thing..
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Carl.....

My '69 does not float either......I was in New Hampshire when Danny came ashore here.

My son did the usual Hurricane routine....yadda yadda yadda....park the Vette in the middle of our field so tree limbs would not fall on it.....then we got over 40" of rain in 36 hours.....water up to the seats....oh well...

H
hb
coolair

Post by coolair »

um
ya i need a cold shower now too. my Dad had a '66 with a small block, a/c power, nice car
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

coolair she is not even a model. she worked in the office like a bookeeper, answer the phone.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

What was the most outstanding talent she had that got her hired?

I bet you guys got no work done. The boss was probably chasing you away from her desk all day.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a florida girl very " dizzy" to say the lease. attending stonybrook college at night for accounding degree.free spirted girl decided to pose at moments notice.her most outstanding talent -----hmm well it wasn`t meticulous accounting!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
coolair

Post by coolair »

Bob who are you talking about?? I was looking at the vette! haha
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

What color was it?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I bet you still have dreams about her, the Vette I mean.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes in deed no hesitation she always wanted get into it!!anything goes quite a car!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i found a before on that vette . california car built date sept 12 1966. 812 - 1967 vette built.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony the only time i steped out of 1962-1967 corvette was to buy a perfect vette blowed engine 1982 collectors edition #18 out of 6000 made.at high speed would change lane with a pinky move terrible car in weather or high speed beautifull wheels and tinted glass roof.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Always loved the Corvette. Who doesn't. But my real love is the Shelby Mustang. Since I saw my first one when I was in high school, it was something I always wanted. Wound up with a 31 Bert instead.

Had an opportunity in the early 80's to buy one for $5,000. Back then that was a lot of money too me so I passed. I still kick myself.
Carl

Post by Carl »

It ain't pretty...
Water had already went down several inches before I got out to the garage to take some pictures. Shelves fell over, coolers floating...

Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:tony the only time i steped out of 1962-1967 corvette was to buy a perfect vette blowed engine 1982 collectors edition #18 out of 6000 made.at high speed would change lane with a pinky move terrible car in weather or high speed beautifull wheels and tinted glass roof.

Love the look of the 80 to the collectors edition...but your right a lousy handling car and stock with 182hp was a joke. However with a poly graphite suspension and some motor upgrades it became somewhat respectable.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the collectors edition was experimental in beauty parts like first tinted glass on t-tops,glass rear hatch had same brown tinted glass,interior was two tone but most of all the remake of the 64 to 66 corvette real knock off wheels were sharp looking. good looks no go you really could not play with a "points" car like this price falls off dramatily.i had it 8 months and sold it for a profit . oh 82 year was auto only ----------------------boo
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sim this is how i started . back in 1964 they had no tires to speak of that would fit under uncut wheelwells of corvette. i built the engine 339 ci massive experimental headwork i copied from gene adams race engines up the block from me. power shifted at 8500 rpm back in the day unheard off . could not go in reverse because bronze racing flywheel and trick pressure plate would not allow you to ride clutch.hilborn fuel injection with stall tune headers this was when hedman was the only headers available. went to conduit blvd wesson hamburgers (tow to within a block).they stage a accident nearby and we ran conduit blvd.i beat all comers and bought this women (my wife ) a 11/2 carrot diamond ring. crazy but that was the times .this car would beat any big block out of the chutes 4.88 rear lock up and car really hooked up.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this was my favorite 427 - 390 hp with hooker headers/sidepipes . bogus color non stock but matching number engine . just a great driving car with the biggest hi- performace tires that fit under wheel wells. sorry i sold it.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pretty cars Bob.
...love the side pipes...but get too hot...at least for a daily driver. You can ask my wife about that, I was debating about the Hooker pipes but decided to go with factory side pipes and the fiberglass cover...but before I got to install the cover my girlfriend (at the time) decided to get in and burnt her leg pretty good...guess it clicked then what pipes I kept telling her where real hot and be careful getting in...

Matching numbers...mine matched once...then I realized I didn't care as I couldn't see an 80's car really being worth all that much...besides I loved to tinker.

My sister boyfriend at the time built the motor with me, him and his dad where heavy into Drag car motors and was involved somehow with Pinnochios Offshore Racing...they had a blowout or something so I never really knew how involved his father was with the race team...but whatever.
We built the stock 350 in a similar fashion to the old 350, 350hp Vette motors. Utilizing the 350 cam, but went 10:1 with all the little goodies then he did his thing...head work, extensive head work. In the end it was a real nice driver, with much better throttle response, better mileage and soon as that tach hit 3200-3500rpm...hold on. He said we where around 400hp...I never put her on a dyno...but with that hp it kept up with traffic and the poly graphite suspension gave it some handling...at least it brought the car into the eighties type of handling.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i guess the big advantage we had in those days were 110 octane cam 2 was availuble in many places . even sunoco 94 leaded of course would let you run 11.25 compression of 327 ci 365hp corvette in 1964.the picture of the 62 vette make me wonder 12 to 1 cr on the street!!! little did i no i was 1 year ahead of smoky yunick of circle track fame. the velocity stacks from the hilborn injection although rounded would not allow me to close hood .so hood was on two latches .this idea of the reverse scoop with maximum flow of air around windshield came out in the famous 1967 big block hood and 1970 bb chevelle . i did it by accident.those cylinder heads had hand made push rod guide plates later used in z-28 camero with 5 angle valve job.those racers on conduit blvd were big time . the car i beat was a all out 1964 mustang . i beat that car by a fender is wasn`t even streetable, a all out race car tow in by brooklyn speed shop.no juice,blowers,tubo must be small block.wow going 125mph on a city street what a jerk .thats the way it was.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

125 on the street...oooch. In the 80 you couldn't go that fast as the Speedo only went to 80mph (LOL...never really understood that)...of course I was just getting out of 2nd gear by the time the Speedo got pegged.

But I didn't build mine for racing or to go fast...just a daily driver that could get out of its own way. Ran just fine on 92 octane, didn't run warm, shifted real nice with a Hurst Shifter and Diaphragm Clutch. I left the stock "econo" rear in there so I wasn't really capable of launching her off the line...but got 21mpg on the highway...not bad.

I did my racing years earlier with an endurance go-cart. When everyone else had a go-cart they could ride in a "dirt lot" I had one that sat 1/2" off the ground on full slicks, fluid clutch and was settup to do 140mph with a 22hp alcohol motor...which my father switched it out to a 7-1/2 hp... but it still got it up to 65mph in the Mall parking lot. Found that out running with a police car to time me...in those days the Mall closed Sundays and Cops where cool..."hey son how fast that thing go... dunno...well run along side and lets find out"

It was the Mall or the Track otherwise couldn't use it...so the car I wanted a daily driver...

years gone by...good memories!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

on eastern long island there is a 6 lane hwy going north -south that is hardly used week end mornings .i had to be at power house 7am so i take my 1961 corvette . spedoo goes to 160mph on vetts in the sixties . belive it or not i pass a cop hiding in wood with radar took him miles to finally catch up . he gives me that you were speeding and tells me i bury the radar!! how fast were you doing he says so i tell him 135mph ----in a 55mph zone.he laugh look at the restoration and let me go not even a warning.them were the days,also got stopped in another vette at 165+ same thing started a conversation and he let me go.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473