Shimano Talica vs Accurate bx2 2 speed reels

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

Shimano Talica vs Accurate bx2 2 speed reels

Post by JohnCranston »

I'm getting ready to throw down on a couple of these reels...either the Shimano 16's or the Accurate 500's or the 600's. Any info on either of these reels?
I'm going to use them primarily for jigging 6oz or 8oz diamond jigs for bft or live baiting flying fish for yft.
Many thanks.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The butterfly style of jigging relies on a significant amount of line on every handle turn then a flutter when the tip drops and then a tip raise and handle crank. Over and over until your exhausted or get a bite. I'm guessing your looking at 40-60lb braid with a mono top shot.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either two of your choices. I have always found the Shimano equipment reliable.

While I don't have any experience with the Talica I have significant experience with Shimano, Alutecnos and Penn. I found myself going back to Penn because of the Pro Plan that was available to me and it hasn't bit me in the butt yet. I think if money were no object I'd be on the Shimano program 100%, I like the drags durability and the consistency between reels when setting the drag. We caught a 305lb Thresher on a calcutta 400 last spring. Took the reel back for a check up on the drags and was told to put her back in the water, no trouble found. I can't ask any more of their equipment than that.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

If you got the coin go Shimano.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

JP,
You hit the nail on the head as far as the jigging goes. That little 400 is a great reel...I have the T.E. version and I like it.
Brewster,
I ended up buying one of each. My buddies swear how well the Accurates work, so I'll give them a try also. Thanks for the help, guys.
coolair

Post by coolair »

John
my bro fished with some guys while back from accurate, he said they are nice reels, I dont know alot about them, but on the charter stuff they use speedmasters almost exclusively. I konw tehy kinda scraped using the more expensive reels, they just didnt seem to hold up as well, i have one at the shop i am rebuilding.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
I took the Shimano stuff back to Bass Pro and traded them for all Accurates. After getting the Shimano's home, I started messing with the drag. The more drag I applied, the harder it was to crank the handle. No problem with the Accurates...60 lbs of drag at max...not too shabby. The fit and finish seem to be superior to the Shimano. Ed Tovar and I, are going on a long range trip out of San Diego Dec 26. We called the X-Caliber tuna boat and was advised to go with the Accurate stuf, so we did. The local Bass Pro Shop had a deal that ended today...If you bought $600 or more, you recieved a $100 gift card and 10 percent off of your purchase...I bought 3 of them and a S&w model 500 50 caliver to boot..my new hobby. I convinced Pam that if I sat at home and didn't take advantage of Bass Pro's promotion, I'd be loosing Money. Somehow it worked. Just about all of my stuff is Shimano, but, I was kind of disappointed about the new Talica, and the folks In San Diego
told me to stay clear of them also.
I'm sure that the Shimano's would work just fine for my application, but, for the same price, might as well go with the goods that people are putting through the test daily.
coolair

Post by coolair »

LOL you got the ol SW 500 huh?
that is one big pistol. I think i want taurse version the 460, it shoots 45 long colt, 454 casuel and the 460. you having a problem with bear up there in spring?
I am with you the accurate is nice stuff, The only shimano reel my brother really uses is the speed master, And they get used hard , wish i would have known about the bass pro sell, maybe i could get my wife to believe the same story you told!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

The San Diego guys like the Avets... have you looked at them ?
If your going on a ten day.you might be fightingb cow tune 200+lbs
Avets are 1/2 price.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
After this winter from hell, anywhere is bear country if you live North of I-10.
Ironman,
I scanned the chat rooms and alot of posts were positive about the Avets, but not as positive as the Accurates. The Accurate 600 BX2 holds almost 600 yards of 65 lbspectra. All of the reels I bought were 2 speed. I'm also bringing a Penn VSW 30 and a 50, both have been tricked out by Calsheets.
Thanks for the info everyone.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Sorry, 500 yards on the 600 BX2.
coolair

Post by coolair »

JOHN SO TRUE! snow twice!! in houston. just dont shoot yourself or pam! or the boat! we will have to get to gether i will let you shoot my .50cal if you let me shoot yours haha
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
I went outside today to take the trash out and there was a bull moose standing there in my vegetable garden eating my carrots...what's a blind man gonna do? That's why I bought the 50 cal...if I miss, maybe I'll scare him to death. I witnessed a glacier floating by on Oyster Creek a couple days ago...Yeah, it's been a bad winter.
coolair

Post by coolair »

now thats some funny stuff. all i gotta say is you better wear ear plugs, or you wont be able to hear either, trust me, my ear still rings from forgeting to but in my ear plug when i shot my .50cal.

I dont think there is a season on moose in texas, you should have blasted him! we could have bbq'd him and made margaritas with the glacier!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854