Snow-a-cane

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

Snow-a-cane

Post by scot »

Sounds like our Northeastern brethren are catchin hell. How are you guys doing?... and how's this Al Gore science working out for all of us?

Shall we consult the Goreacle for more wisdom?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Ripsangler

Post by Ripsangler »

Farmers Almanac is callin for 40in. in March. Al Gore has no clue!!!!!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Nephew came down from PA to play some golf for a week and showed me some pics of an igloo he and his neighbors built that housed about 50 people standing up. Its hugh.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

21 inches in NYC, but only 18 at my house......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

we only got two or three but it rained so hard last night i thought about startin an ark.................................and of course all the car doors were frozen shut.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

No snow in Boston, but plenty of rain and wind. They clocked an 87mph wind gust in Rockport, MA. Wave heights around midnight were as follows:

Jeffrey's Ledge 28.5 feet
Stellwagen Bank 28.9 feet
Boston (aka "B" Bouy) 25 feet

Lots of trees down and lots of towns without power. I've never heard my house make so much noise.
Regards,

Doug L.
randall

Post by randall »

i looked at the ocean this afternoon.....breaking waves as far out as i could see......looked around 15 foot.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

10 inches up here in North east NJ. They are looking at another possible big storm this coming week. Snow was real heavy. So wet that at the mouth of the driveway it looked like I was throwing water with the snow blower.
Carl

Post by Carl »

24 inches for me....

Global warming is in full force in the Staten Island Area!!

Maybe today I'll get a Snowplow or Salt Spreader to come down my block.
randall

Post by randall »

it fell another half inch of wet and heavy last night. the suns out and its total winter wonderland right now......sorry....but i REALLY like it. plan on taking a nice long walk in the woods.
Carl

Post by Carl »

It's beautiful...right up to the moment you pick up that shovel.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Eighty-six degrees here in St. John's USVI. Sorry, had to.
Saw a very pretty sportfish with an added bulk head. Will try to send pix when I remember my camera.

Rawleigh, be back in time for the impending blizzard.
Damn!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

Was supposed to fly down to Costa Rica fri. morning, some nice marlin around, no sails! They cancelled the flight and said mon at the ealiest. Got my money back and will head down in April or July when snow is hopefully not an issue!

I had it!!!!!
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
randall

Post by randall »

heading to new mexico...hope theres lots of snow.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Misery love company you know Mikey!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Results from Beverly, Ma. after shrink wrap ripped off. One of the fwd spring lines chafed through after that cleat as well as the other fwd spring line cleat were half pulled out of the dock. The remaining two lines holding it off the main dock aft stretched enough to allow the swim platform to pound against the dock. The torque split the glass at the transom door cutout.

Loudhailer megaphone on bridge brow mount ripped off. Antennas smashed & all canvas in shreds. Spotlight mounted on hardtop ripped off. Other minor stuff damaged as well.

Couldn't reach Frank Bradford Ins. Agency in Freeport L.I. I'm assuming that was because of the storm. Finally got through to someone in Georgia to initiate a claim. Let's see how Ace Insurance takes care of the Nites Off.

There are only 6 boats in the water this winter. Two of our boats had the same fate. A 3rd boat was a 46' Post tied inside to a cement dock.He had no shrink wrap & had no damage. One express cruiser also ripped a cleat out but no damage. An older 33' Chris Craft lost his home made cover.
Al

[/img]Image

[/img]
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Al

That's a tough one. I never liked those cleats that are mounted to the dock. Good luck with the insurance company.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Met the owner of the Bertram here and the story is more than I have time for now. Very interesting. Flying in a couple of hours.
Damn, cold is coming.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

al
sorry to hear your bad fortune, i live in freeport ny if you need assistance with bradford, let me know
Carl

Post by Carl »

Lobsta1, I'd rather shovel then have to contend with that...
Sorry you have to deal with that.

At least your insured... so other then some inconvenience to you... a good crew can whip you back in shape like it never happened.

That's my attempt to make you look at the bright side.

Carl
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

I've got a canvas guy lined up already. The problem around here is finding someone to do the fiberglass work.
Al

P.S. If you look at the stern view, you can see that even the power pole got blown apart. I have a feeling that the wind was stronger along the water front than the official 67 mph.
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Al,
Sorry to hear and see the damage to the Nights Off. Call Norman Leblanc for the fiberglass damage estimate, there is more damage than you think. Norman should have the telephone number for Dana Sponagale, he's the best FRP guy on the Northshore, he was working full time at Dion's in Salem last summer, Dana did the re-gel coating and FRP work on my 31 way back in 1995, it still looks perfect.
I was talking to one of my former neighbors in the Willows, he said that Abbott Rock ,granite day beacon over 100 years old, was completely destroyed and the pier has major damage. His wind guage reached 92 MPH on Thursday night. The storm reminds my of the blizzard of 78 in intensity less the snow fall.
Good luck with the repairs, sunny but cool 60 degrees here in Stuart, Fl. this morning.
Pete
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

Lobsta 1,

We had a max. gust at 82 in M'head.

Pete is correct, Dana is the guy. you might consider talking to Peter Haywood at Winter Island YY. Good people at Winter Island and I have had Dana do work for me in that yard. I have nothing but good to say about Winter Island.

Ken
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Al,
Sorry to hear about the damage.. The best fiberglass guy I know is Jerry Schwartz.. and you won't find anyone better to match the gel coat....he's a bit wacky but aren't they all..

He was in a small marine yard just before the bridge on the southbound side of Rte 1 in Newburyport..

If I can't find his number call Bearet Marine..They have him repair new Grady's that come from the factory damaged...

Ray
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Today was a day in frustration. Was woken up this morning by the claims person from Ace. Even though there was no further apparent damage to the transom, she insisted that Nites Off MUST be hauled immediately. (I'm leaving tomorrow with the Admiral for 12 days in SF with a couple of day side trip to Las Vegas. It's a sixtieth birthday present for her. I gotta keep her happy!) So I said to Ace would they pay to have the engines re-winterized? She said absolutely not. Would they pay for a tow. NO! Would they pay for storage while waiting for the boat to be fixed. NO! I must go to a yard that would not charge storage while the boat is being worked on. That eliminates half the yards as they don't do the full service but charge storage & get a cut from any contractors you bring in.

Contacted Dion's in Salem & Manchester Marine. After numerous calls, Dion finally said they could not handle me for at least a month.
( Dana is still working there, but HE is the one tied up with work.) Manchester Marine's glass guy finally got back from the Boston boat show this afternoon & after looking at my fotos they said they could take me immediately.

TowboatUS Cap'n was tied up most of the day on a salvage of a sunken lobster boat from the same storm. Finally got back to me & said they were tied up for a few days salvaging a couple of sailboats that went turtle during the storm. So, Thur. or Fri. they will tow Nites Off to Manchester Marine.

Suggested to Pam at Ace that I was considering hiring surveyor Norm LeBlanc to look out for my interests. She seemed horrified at the idea of my having my own surveyor. That convinced me, so after hanging up I called Norm & hired him. That is $350+ out of my pocket, but I think it may be worth it.
Al

P.S. I have McCormick Canvas from Danvers Ma. giving me a quote on a Strataglass enclosure with Goretex thread.

P.P.S. I believe most of the newer B33 swim platforms were mounted with the small brackets on the transom with the pins you can pull to remove the platform. My platform has thirteen 3/8" bolts through the bottom flange & the transom. When I replaced them I glassed in 3/8" plywood inside the transom & then thru bolted & then four support legs. I think if I had the individual mounts, they would have been driven thru the transom.

Yesterday I examined the dock. The big shore power service for the dock as well the dock water go thru a D-channel in stainless brackets. They were flattened as well as the service cable. Then I noticed that there were scuff marks ON TOP of the 3"x8" hard rubber fender lining the dock.
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
randall

Post by randall »

sorry to hear about your troubles. my wife and i are fighting with 2 different insurance companies about 2 different things. its a crap shoot. good luck!!
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Al,

Have you used Norm LeBlanc before????
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Norm's the best guy in the business. You can tell by his last name!
Regards,

Doug L.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Are y'all Coonasses from down here originally? There are more LeBlancs in the Baton Rouge phone book than Smiths.

UV
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Canadian. There's a boat load in the phone books up here too.
Regards,

Doug L.
In Memory of Vicroy

Gotcha...that's where coonasses came from, run out by the Brits and settled in south La. My family goes back to Nova Scotia, and the name was "Roi" in french, which means "king".

Small world.

On the other hand, we are in the throes of the worst - coldest and wettest - winter since 1977. The low pressure area that blew through here yesterday afternoon was wound up like a tropical storm and knocked trees down all over town....heading up your way, hunker down, its a nasty one again.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

UV...we are having a snowy winter but yikes!!...its sunny and over 50 today. a long walk down the beach and through the woods seems in order. i mean...........how often do i get to weather gloat on march 2nd?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Mother nature is tricking us. It will get ugly again soon.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

BTW,

Al let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I'm sure Bill and Frank would be available as well if needed.
Regards,

Doug L.
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, gloat away....its 45, overcast, windy and cold here. I'm sitting by the fireplace reading a biography about Albert Einstein. Not as exciting as it sounds....Sanding on the Whaler has gotten old....need some sunshine. supposed to be in the 70s by the end of the week.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

it wont be in the 70s here for awhile. im doing a little portrait of einstein at the moment. my favorite quote: einstein, "imagination is more important than knowledge".
In Memory of Vicroy

Some of Einstein's best manuvering was when he knocked up his girlfriend in Zurich. The man was not as smart as most people think.

Yeah, guess its a damn slow day......

V