Capt Pat is right again... I'm switching Kaspersky Antivirus

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Capt Pat is right again... I'm switching Kaspersky Antivirus

Post by Carl »

Been all over the map with Internet security software, some free, some not so free. Some bogged down the computer while others did not.

Last year I thought I settled on the best combination with Vipre. For about a year and change I had few issues...but lately things slowed down and got quirky. Did the usual updates and scans and found nothing. Tried a couple of the older programs and updated them...nothing. Gave the free Kaspersky a trial run and it found two issues off the bat, cleaned them out and even thou the computer runs a tad slower with Kaspersky...it seems to have done the trick,

Loaded a trial version at the home computer too...ooch it found 9 Trojans...cleared them out and that one seems to be running fine now too. Thought we where heading for a new computer at home, figured it was just being killed wit all the pictures and music the kids download. Been running two weeks now on the trial version...think I'll be purchasing for all three puters.

Thanks Capt Pat!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Carl,

I think you'll continue to like Kaspersky. I've been running it for the past 4+ years and it's functioned flawlessly from the first download. I tend to like last year's version to this year's, but it's only because I like to have a bit more "hands on" control and this year's version automates more. Good though for those that don't want or know how to diddle with the background stuff...

One of the slow downs, not just with Kaspersky, but just about all security software is having too many independent programs, supposedly doing the same thing. Kaspersky will work best when no other programs, such as Spybot, McAfee, Norton, Defender, etc., are also active on the same computer.

My main machine is on 24/7/365 and I have Kaspersky run a full scan daily at 02:30. It's always done far before I normally get up in morning, usually around 04:30-05:00. Even when I occasionally access the machine during a scan, I hardly even notice that Kaspersky is running in the background. Of course it doesn't hurt that I'm running a quad processor with 2 gigs of RAM....
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Capt Pat told me and he hooked me up. I had to call him early in the am and he talked me through what I needed. He is the MAN. You cant do better than a freind like him!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Thanks Brew... Like I said, just a broke dick ole boat captain helpin' a friend. It's what friends and neighbors are about.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

your the man.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

What a mess I never knew I had. Another sell...you need to get a commission. I didn't realize how many updates I've missed.
It's also great to have a fully functional program on a trial basis. Most of the other free virus scans only tell you there's a problem. Then to fix it (think Sopranos) yous either pay or we can't be sure what might happen to you. Thanks Capt.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Capt Pat, when any of the programs run everything slows down. So I just let it do its thing in the middle of the night like you.

Seems ridiculous but today as a machinist I do 80% of my work at the computer...on it all day. I can tell how the computer is running when I start to get ahead of it when using CAD/CAM programs. With every other application I would really never notice a difference.

Your right about having multiple Security programs. After a week I did a sweep with all the others programs and did not find anything, so I cleared them off the computer. That's another thing I like about this program, it's inclusive. Vipre did Virus's and Trojans, then they offered a 2nd piece of software for Spyware & Malware, then another program for FireWall...some I purchased from Vipre others where freeware...they told me they where coming out with an inclusive package later in the year...but too little too late.
randall

Post by randall »

there is another solution to virus.
Carl

Post by Carl »

randall wrote:there is another solution to virus.

I'm listening...

...not to virus?
randall

Post by randall »

mac ..no attack. at least ive never had any kind of problem (no anti viral softwear) and it seems to work quick and without all the drama of PCs. i have no vested interest and i hear PCs are much better at spreadsheet kinds of things but EVERY artist, photographer and architect i know has a mac.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

EVERY artist, photographer and architect i know has a mac.
Got one of 'em myself. ....but..... I'd still rather push a PC than drive a Mac. They're great machines for high end graphics and multimedia composition for those folks that need it, but beyond that I find 'em a bigger pain in the ass than protecting my PCs from viruses. If Macs were as user friendly and as affordable as PCs there would probably be more of them on the average computer user's desk. Just another personal preference thing.

What Mac doesn't publicize is that of the users in the United States, Mac only has around a 5% market share and Windows based PC at around 90%. The other operating systems perdominantly are Linux.

So from a virus writer and hacker standpoint, why waste time trying to screw up 10% of the computers when you can mess with 90%. It's not so much that Mac has better OS protection, (which it may), but that there is just far less viruses and malware out there that targets Mac.

You can bet that if Mac, with their overly hyped invunerability, had 90% of the market, the hackers would on them like ants at a picnic.
randall

Post by randall »

no argument from me ....thats exactly as i understand the situation.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ahh the Mac thing...

My IT guy tried to talk me into one some time ago, less attacks, better performance, doesn't crash, runs everything...

Started to think about it...then found it to be pricey upfront. Had to buy some new software $$. Had some compatibility issues so I would be better off switching the other computers as well $$$$

In the end, it was easier to upgrade the PC and buy the Security software, much less money out of pocket to boot.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

The Mac opsys is Linux.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thats why its stable Mike.

One of my IT sons in law turned me onto Avast and it works great also.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Question for the computer guru's. I got a virus a couple of weeks ago on my home computer that Norton could not get rid of. I downloaded Avgast and it got rid of the virus. Now I cannot get rid of Norton. You are right about having two antivirus and the problems that it causes. Norton does not seem to uninstall the way other programs do. I assume it has some security protection built in to prevent a virus from uninstalling it. Any suggestions?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Thanks Pat!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31