Fiberglassing Windows and Paint job $

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Spikehunter

Fiberglassing Windows and Paint job $

Post by Spikehunter »

Guys,

I was wondering if I could get a ball park estimate for glassing in the front windows, replacing the sliding windows on the side, some fiberglass work, and painting the entire boat. I have gotten a couple bids here in So Cal. and was wondering if anyone on the board has done this project. I have been told it will take about months to complete.

The boat is a 74 FBC and has the original gel coat. There are spider cracks throughout the gel coat but the boat is in fairly good shape. The boat has never been painted and the original windows are leaking.
End of the Line
1974 FBC
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Insert can of worms here:

If your gelcoat is crinkled then your looking at a complete peal lots of money.

what are your goals with the boat and what is your budget, deep pockets, shallow pockets?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Spikehunter

Post by Spikehunter »

I am looking to give the boat a face lift. The boat runs great with cummins diesel engines. I have owned the boat for two years and am looking to own it for many more.
I am on a budget, but i want to really clean up the boat. I am asking the question because I am not sure of the budget I am willing to spend. The boat needs work to look really good. I love the hull and the fishiness of the platform.
I am just wondering if others have done a project like this and about what they spent to do it.

Thanks!
End of the Line
1974 FBC
coolair

Post by coolair »

I just spent a pretty penny having mine wet sanded, compounded polished and waxed, and the gelcoat looks brand new, after seeing the results, which honestly neither I nor they guy who did it expected, I'd say its worth trying before you spend loads of money on paint.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You could easily be looking at 30k for what you describe.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Last time I priced painting it was 175.00/ft which included limited prep.

From what I know (which is not much) the prep is the most important part of the finished product and cost can easily exceeds the painting cost.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

We took an old boat and used Capt Pats side window kit had glass cut to fit by a friend and was able to get the front cowel shipped up from Richard Kidd by a guy that was coming this way anyhow with a boat.

I don't know what your abilities are but the side windows and front cowel are a big job.

A B31 can't be painted in one blast. Most of the guys around here do them in a few different steps. This adds more time.

This is what we started with (the front cowel is a weblon cover)

This is what we ended with:

We did all of the fiberglass and paint work ourselves we still had cost close to 10k in material alone not to mention the 100's of hours of labor sanding filling and creating a paintable product. Its just not as simple as sanding a throwing a coat of paint on her, especially if your looking to do one piece side windows and a fiberglass front cowel.

Here's the short list:
Sandpaper
DA's
Air file
paint
reducer
catalyst
primer
reducer
catalyst
textured non skid
fiberglass, chop, biax, triax
Epoxy- how many gallon can you stand
paint cups
epoxy cups
mixing sticks
filler base- 410-403-406 etc etc
sanding boards
grinder
grinding discs
gloves
masks
new glass
interior finish fo the cowel
air compressor
paint gun
cleaners
tack rags
cheese cloth

And I'm sure I forgot a bunch. I am realizing as I type this that I don't think I'll ever do this again. How much pain you handle?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I am realizing as I type this that I don't think I'll ever do this again. How much pain you handle?
Spoken like a true veteran! Me either...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp when you say front cowell from richard kidd . is this a covering fiberglass piece that goes over the stock windshield ,or is this the one piece unit that takes the place of the windshield, like captain patrick uses on his masterpieces? i never did the researth to find out what was out there. the one piece composite unit is one hell of a job and must be done before side windows because they don`t com even close to matching up with stock configuration windows . at least that is what i received.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Bob Its the cover. Keeps the aluminum frame in place and covers it. The piece never fits correctly, ours was long on the port side and needed about 2"s of extension on the starboard. Front windows come out and are replaced with plywood. Corner windows are templated and built up with wiggle board to pad the whole thing flush.

Then the whole thing once flush and prefit gets removes troweled with 5200 and the cowel gets screwed in place using sheet rock screws and big fender washers. Wait a couple days for the 3M product to set up and remove all the screws. Get out your favorite brand of grinder and start feathering the seams for glassing. (F-Me what the hell were we thinking when we started this- yeah that what you'll be saying) You can use the orginal leading edge to begin attaching the framless quarter round from Capt Pat after pushing out the old windows. More grinding more fitting more sanding

Then after the outside is done we made a pattern of the inside curve and built an inside "cowel" that was vinyl covered, then built and installed an entertainment center and microwave cabinet on either side.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

JP, that is one beautiful 31.No wonder Scott wanted use yours as the template....Russ
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that is one hell of a labor job let alone the price of the cowel. after trial fitting it did you ever think the guy who made the cowel was jusy trying to piss you off making you think it would drop right in. 2" off you had to go crazy.you tell people and they never belive you and capt. patrick does this for a living along!!!! i used the one composite piece like the captain and after trial fitting i througt they made the windshield for a 32' blackfin!!the piece was 2" too short and a severe hook on one side . i just wanted to scream.the finish product took hundred of hours to finish . the covering boards were more brainwork the windshield was shear agrivation from start to finish.i invented a epoxy injection method that helped somewhat and made a extremely strong windshield but the faring was a whore,------------never again.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

I put the panel in the front of the house, replaced the side glass (fixed) and the bulkhead glass (all tempered Grey Lite 14), Capt. Pat's window kits for the sides, painted the bridge exterior, the decks (includes breaking the non-skid into panels to facilitate future repair), topsides including boot, new pvc rail w/ss cap for about 85K. Everything painted was in Awlcraft.

The tempered glass for the sides and bulkhead, just material cost, was just under a grand.

I think I paid too much but, I wanted the boat done before I am on social security. The result makes it hurt a lot less.

Ken
coolair

Post by coolair »

Ya know i am i guess an orginalist, I wanted to keep all my windows and keep the original look.. but DAMN that boat looks good!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Chimera is a work of art. JP, you should put up some interior shots so we can see how the entertainment center turned out.
Spikehunter

Post by Spikehunter »

Thanks for the input. I know there is going to be a lot of work ahead of us, but seeing the pictures of how nice it can turn out is worth the struggle. I will keep everyone updated on the progress. We have determined to take one of the three bids that we have gotten for the job. He comes highly recommended and is excited about working on the boat. I am sure that I will be asking a few more questions about different phases of the project.

Thanks for your help,
End of the Line
1974 FBC
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

JP- you are a buzz kill even if your buzz kill is very old...but the pictures do get the heart pumpin'...see you in the shed. I'll be the one that's all dusty and muttering cursewords.
Face

Post by Face »

I had my B28 prepped and painted for 15k. I was also quoted as high as 27k for the job and I didn't bother to get an estimate from the highest priced yard in town. This is with me removing every piece of hardware and very rough/crazed gelcoat. I also had numerous holes filled from installations over the years (flybridge, foredeck, etc.). I still think this was a hell of a deal.

A friend just did a "lipstick" job on his B35 by himself. Sanded down the gelcoat, filled holes, shot primer and awlgrip. The boat looks pretty good (for now) but it is an incredible amount of labor. The results are in the prep-work. It will take longer and more money than you think, I can promise you that.

If I were to do it again, I would just wetsand, buff, wax and go fishing. Then again I'm young with shallow pockets and haven't finished the boat. Thankfully I have other boats to fish on. Oh well, no hurry.
B.W. Outrage 18
Restoring B28 w/ Cummins 4BT 150's
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Since you are in the area of a 31 Bertram fanatic and want an estimate of parts/labor, why not call Alex Whitaker in S. Cal? The last I talked to him he was capable of full or partial restoration.
31 Bertram Specialties - Alex Whitaker
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

one very important detail is left out here and must be consider depending on your use of the boat . try not to compare apples and pears when getting a estimate.personally i have done every single last job on my boat myself except the original paint job on hull sides and partial bridge. after hours and hours of filling in existing tru-hull holes, scratches and relocation of exhaust,side vents i began hull pre- paint preparation using nothing but epoxy, epoxy awlfair then sand to 400 grit and primed with 545 awlgrip. i then took boat to raybo marine to get final imron . he went over boat and said " smooth yes but a ski slope :( so he had to go over area for his perfection paint work. lesson learn there is a paint job and a real paint job!
the windshield job can vary so much it is impossible to estimate unless you give real specific needs . there are a few dealers out there that make a cover for the EXISTING windshield the depends on the structural intergrity of the existing windshield (are the two bolts holding the top thru the windshield into the deck intact????)are the # ten parker screws holding anything???? . the other method is complete removal of windshield using a one piece composite bolted above and below epoxy in on both side bottom and both sides top this the captain patrick methods which also give you a completely finish inside the cabin look. totally changes the way the boat feels / no movement,rattles,creeks unbelievable solid feel as demostrated to many on this board. is it worth the extra expense? i will leave that comment to the wizard himself.will the boat be exposed to unplanned and planned 5 to 10' waves because of the nature of the beast then do it.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Face

Post by Face »

You forgot oranges...
B.W. Outrage 18
Restoring B28 w/ Cummins 4BT 150's
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob don't like Oranges...or Trim Tabs

...you know this post is over a year old, Feb of 2010.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl you have my number! i should mention if don`t have the funds or a high maintenance wife and you want the look; go to your canvas guy and have a stamoid windshield made with rubber membrane along the entire perimeter . seal the windows shut and caulk the entire windshield with 3m 4000 and go for the fancy zipper arrangement with no snaps or just conventional snaps and stop 99% of leaks. for side windows i have a direct replacement insert with greylite# 14 lucite . no brainer just remove old and insert recess side window alluminum frame with one piece lucite. make a donation to the capt. now you just paint boat. here is a photo with insert and front stamoid cover.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Jim M.

Post by Jim M. »

I had my boat painted for $15, everything but interior and inside fly bridge, came out great! Done by Balboa Boat Yard, Newport Beach, CA. Where are you located? I like being able to see out the windows, did not go there.
Jim M
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

JJ,

When are you coming out of the water to start that project.

Wanna set up bleachers and lights so we can sit around drink and watch you work.

Aside from a couple of small projects it should be an easy winter for us.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

JP- I'm hauling out same time as I do every year--when the boss lady makes me.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JJ

How are you? You have been missing in action for a while. I hope everything is well with you and the family.

Tony
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Great, Tony, thanks for asking. Everything is great, hope all is well with you and yours. Will be in the shed this winter at Carver's to hopefully make the front window better. Hope to see you soon.