Generator Space Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mikepelham

Generator Space Question

Post by mikepelham »

Gentlemen:

As we get pounded in the Northeast with more snow I am dreaming of warmer days on the water in LBI. In any case, I have a 1963 31 with twin 454's. I installed AC and now want to install a generator. The boat is in NJ and I am in PA and I mis-placed my mesurements for space between engine and side of hull. Does anyone have those measurements or models that will fit? I am looking at a westerbeke and also a Kohler 5E. Any thoughts or guidance?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Gonna be tough to fit a genset of any kind outboard of a V-8. Not sure if I've ever seen one? Pleanty of room outboard of an in-line diesel such as a Cummins 6B or Yannie.

UV
mikepelham

Post by mikepelham »

It is going to be a tight fit. However, if memory serves me correctly DeNada had gassers and a Westerbeke. Harry is that correct?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I did put a Westerbeke 5 KW gasoline genset on the outboard side of DeNadas port engine.

It was tight but I did not have to remove any engine parts to get her in place.

I did install a remote oil filter......you'll never get to the filter as close as it sits to the main engine.

I liked the Westerbeke generator. It was an 1800 RPM unit and very quiet. I only had one problem and that was because I did not follow the instructions in the installation book.(at that time I was much smarter than the book....but not any more LOL)

Trying to save a nickle I used a main engine battery as a starting battery for the genset. It went fine until one day the generator was already running when I started the port engine. The generator sensed a surge and blew a fuse.....then the generator governor could not control the engine and it would go into an over speed condition and shut down when the AC compressor shut off.

I like to have never found the fuse but after replacing it and installing a dedicated battery (like the instructions said) we were whole again and the unit ran flawlessly.

The 5 KW genset is freshwater cooled. I believe the model was a BCG.
I do not care for the 3.5 KW Westerbeke gasoline generator....its an outboard motor belt driving the generator.....seawater cooled.

hb
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Nice install harry, but I bet changing the outboard plugs was a pain after that!! No wonder you are going to diesel!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Nothing to it Rawliegh

All you have to do is drydock the boat remove both cylinder heads, then crawl up thru the exhaust.....change the plugs then reassemble the whole thing....LOL

Can you tell that I just took my smart ass pill for the day.....

Actually I never got to that point before I started the repower, but I am pretty sure you are correct.

It only took about an hour to unhook and remove the genset if needed, but I believe that the plugs could be changed without doing that...but it would be tough.

I am sure the genset would have to be removed to change Exhaust manifolds.....just the price you have to pay when you put 5 pounds of crap in a 3 pound box.

H
hb
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

harry
your like me when all else fails , let read the brains
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Looks like you looked at a tune up and said a repower is easier. LOL

Got to admit, I love those 6cyl Cummins. It is like I am 25 again when I used to be able to squeeze between the big block and the hull on starboard side without pulling the wing off.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Tony wrote:Looks like you looked at a tune up and said a repower is easier. LOL

You hit the nail on the head.....that's a lifestlye with me.

Like Vic says......The Enemy of gooder is more gooder.....

But I have to say its been quite an experience....a gooder one....

H
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

I know the experience as I am about 95% finished and the boat did float and we did run it. You will be more than pleased, trust me on that.