Camera for close ups

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Camera for close ups

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Guys, I always come to the Faithful for advice, even off the subject, 'cause someone here always knows....one of my deals is I collect antique sterling silver and need to photograph the hallmarks that are usually tiny. I've been looking for a pocket camera that will focus down real close and saw some hallmark pix on a silver website I frequent(www.silver-collector.com) that were stunning. Turns out the guy - from the UK - used an Olympus MJU 1010 that has a macro function that will focus down to 2 cm....that's damn close. The camera is 10 megapixel and only about 150 bucks online. And it's splashproof to boot. The specs seem doggone good for a camera that price.

Any of our camera experts got any better ideas?

UV
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Vic: Ive got an Olympus stylus 850.. Waterproof to 10 ft?
Carry it everywhere.. Its my third one (improved each time purchased)..
I know it has macro. too.. Ill bet youd like them..
Wayne
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I also have an 850SW. I take it snorkeling. It has two macro levels. I use the macro feature to take pictures of serial # tags on my old equipment so that I can read them more easily (or read them at all in some situations where they are otherwise inaccessible.) The macro works very well and you can zoom up on the picture once you take it. It has a light on the front that comes on in macro mode and really brightens up the picture. I think you would like it Vic. I got it through Costco. Olympus makes several new models of the waterproof small cameras now, so the number may be superseded. I think they made a 1050 when I got mine that is waterproof to 30 feet and can be dropped 10 feet. As a bonus, you can take pictures in the rain at the Tropic Star with it!!

The only down side to the Olympus is that they use a proprietary chip. I got a 2GB mini SD chip with an adapter for the Olympus style chip that it slides into. The chip came with an SD adapter so that it can be read in a regular SD reader. They also use a proprietary rechargeable battery, but you can get extras cheap on Ebay.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

UV,

What ever brand or model you decide on, make sure that it has a MACRO setting. This will be a setting that you have have to call upon when the occasion arrises, not an automatic function. There will be a specific button that you push to engage it's macro function.

Not sure you'll find this function on small cameras... I'm shooting a Fuji S9000 here.

In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks guys, real helpful. The 1010 does have the macro function, but I like the two macro settings and the light on Rawleigh's. I use a hand held electronic magnifier that is in effect a digital camera with a large screen and very bright LED lights. It is a low vision aid and does not record like a camera. I'll probably go by a camera place and try out the one Rawleigh and Wayne are talking about.

Thanks again Faithful.

UV
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... tylustough

That's what I use.....33 feet down.....6 feet drop.........below zero degrees capacity.......the works.......don't go cheap on me buy the 8010 and forget bout' it.........you won't regret it....specially in a humid place like Panama.....had a problem with former digital cameras.....lens will fog in South America.......my olympus has done a good job to date
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Olympus SP-500uz with Macro. The big deal with the macro is a small, table-top tripod to steady the shot. Makes all the difference.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

You guys are sure having fun spending my money....I already have a pretty good camera and this one is really just for the silver work. The 1010 is 10 m.p. and in macro will focus down to 2 c.m......the 850 in its closest of the two macro modes will only focus down to 7 c.m. and is only a 8 m.p......Mikey's is way to rich for this poor ole retiered country boy...Patrick's is the cat's meow but I ain't that rich either.

Mikey - I do have a tripod that might work....the 1010 has image stabilization like the expensive binocs so its probably not an issue with shakey hands like mine.

Thanks again, Faithful.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Olympus now has the 7010 out, 12 m.p. with 3 macro ranges, including one that will focus down to 1 c.m, that's 39/100ths of an inch.....selling at the discount places for $199...where's it gonna stop? And you can get it in pink, Barney.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Just ordered the 7010 from J&R, on sale, $159. No wonder the Chinese own us......

UV
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

UV
It will be obsolete when delivered. That's how they own us.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Cant believe it..I just ordered one ... I got a camera buying problem.
Thanks