winter in the Keys...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

winter in the Keys...

Post by Buju »

Usually brings up mental images of flipflops, boardshorts, chicks in bikinis catching sailfish, lobster diving, etc...

But in the last 7 days, we've only broke outta the 50's once. As I type, my monitor tells me it is 32... literally freezing, in Key Largo, @ 9 a.m.
Coldest I've seen since leaving the midwest. Didn't really think it was possible
down here.

Never thought I'd have to ask, but David (hueso) how about posting some pics of beaches and palms? I see plenty of palms out the window, but is that icicles on the fronds?
Went shrimping last night, wearing full on neoprene chest waders, with insulated neoprene boots and neoprene gloves, five shirts, jacket, two pairs thermal underwear, wool socks, the works. Was still cold as a witches tit. If it weren't for the medicinal Guiness I'd have ran for home.

Like CMP so eloquently put it: "WTF?"
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That Global warming is s bitch ain't it!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

my 2 girls when down to boca on vac to visit there sister, they said dad, did we pick the wrong week, i said at least your not dealing with wind chill of zero degrees.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Sorry--still rather be there than here. I just put the iceeater in at the dock 'cause the creek is frozen. I really need to get moving on my winter B31 projects, so I'm going down to the marina today to do a little grinding--and it just broke 20 degrees here.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Buju,

At 9:AM here in Cape Coral this morning, it was 38, but supposed to get colder this evening.

How did the shrimping turn out? My favoriite food.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Buju

Post by Buju »

still rather be there than here
Oh yeah, me too. No question about it.
How did the shrimping turn out?
Eiighhh, not so great. Been an off year so far. I got some nice size jumbos, enough for a small boil, or a few big pots of barbeque shrimp. But very far from my 5gallon bucket quota, probably not even 1 gallon... Tons of bycatch though. Seahorses, pipefish, cowfish, trunkfish, puffers, grunts, snapper, mojarra, sole, bout 2 doz. ballyhoo (on brine now), american eels, 37 pinfish, needlefish, etc.. I didn't see it, but apparently some guys were getting full grown bonefish (stunned, or dieing) in their nets. This weather is really tough on all our tropical species... probably be some serious kills in the backcountry.

Maybe tonight the shrimp pour through in force... Think I'll turn on the burner to the boil pot before I leave tonight, for luck... come back w/ 5 gallons of live jumbos and dump 'em in there with some andouille. Lifes good.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Called my Buddy who put us up during Christmas in KW, he said wind chill this morning was 30.
Of course temp here at the center of the universe was 23 and the creek needs about two more days of this and I can walk across to visit neighbors.

Still beats Detroit or Chicago
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

or fargo
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Well lets see, 28 and falling. Creek is frozzzzed over and Digger is in her wet spot?. If the wind lets up the rest of the
creek will freeze also.
No shrimp, darn. Steak and potato nite. Glass O wine hit the rack.
Life is good.
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'll just count my blessings and toast a Whiskey drink to "Sweet Home Alabama"

High teens don't sound so bad anymore......

Just think guys Easter is early this year.....spring is coming.....only 10 more weeks of this stuff.....

Don't really give me much time to get off of my butt and get Nadder back in the water....

H
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Well, its pipe-freezin' cold in Coonassland....power went out at the camp this morning at 4 - all electric place - got up at 7 and it was 19 outside and about 40 inside...built a big fire in the fireplace then went out and cranked the genset on AJ and got her heat going. Then toted the coffeepot out to the boat and got that going...the Bride don't move without here coffee.....then took the electric skillet out to the boat to start breakfast....on the way back to the camp the power came back on, whooopeee! Then a PVC pipe going up the side of the house busted with a roar and sprayed ice water all over me and everything else......yaeeeeeee!!!!! cut the water off and investigated. Of course the broken tee was up real high, so had to get the ladder out after changing to dry duds.....got the hacksaw and fittings, but the damn can of glue was dried up (hate when that happens)....one of my nice neighbors had some good glue.....fixed the mess after about an hour, turned the water back on.....water is now spraying from another joint below the first one....hmmmm, musta been froze and just thawed out.....drag the ladder back out, go borrow the glue again, and of course I didn't have the right fitting, etc....you get the drift. I'm now pissed, wet, cold and not to mention hungry.

All turned out well and we came home with no serious injury.

Me & the Bride going to Miami a week from Wednesday for a week at the anti-Q show. Hope it warms up there (and here). This sucks.

UV
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Warmer than Sag Harbor right now ...... but COLD !!
I think the float switch in the Whaler doesn't like the cold ! ... but neither do I !
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
randall

Post by randall »

Vic......please be careful on ladders!!
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Im stayin outta this..& that.
There was an earthquake up north tho.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: In 1976 the entire Chesapeake Bay froze! Tangier men were walking out onto the Bay and cutting holes in the ice to tong oysters through! My Grandmother died that year so I was home from boarding school and ice skated from my Mothers house to the Tides Inn. We then went ice skating on the Rappahannock River in front of Christ Church School!! Now that was cold! We used to ice skate on the creek fairly regularly back then.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bad day at black rock . i wanted to cry , i have a koi pond for 18years and this week due to the cold the water falls froze in a way to devert the water out of the pond . 1700 gallons went on the grass and when i realized what happen there were my fish trying to stay alive in four inches of water . all of the koi 18" to 21/2' are dead ,maybe a few small ones survived. the grand children will be broken hearted especilly when they see" nemo" is gone . like losing your dogs all in one swoop.-------------out
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
coolair

Post by coolair »

ya we been busy here in Houston, hard telling those people they just aint got enough heat, it never gets this cold here. calling for 60s by mid week!! Its also been entertaining telling my customers that insist on having gas heat in there stores that there heat in there brand new units doesnt work because when they built there store, they neglected to install a gas meter. i kinda feel bad for poor guys in south texas, they dont really have heaters haha
and ya that global warming is kicking my ass
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rawleigh, In 1975, the year before the big freeze, I kept a sailboat on Healey Creek off the Piankatank. I spent nearly every weekend scraping paint on her hull while sitting in a dinghy in shorts and tee shirt. The owner of the property told me he had walked across the creek and I accused him of a God complex. Following winter ('76) we indeed skated on the same creek. Later that year I rescued a dog gone through he ice on Carter Creek. Dragged a john boat into the creek and poled across the ice to the dog and dragged her in. She immediately shook half the creek off onto me. Felt like Vic with broken pipes spraying on him.
Five weeks to palm trees and counting hourly!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

LOL! I bet you are!! Let me know if you need me to keep an eye on anything while you are away.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Put a pail of water on the back porch Thursday...still frozen late this afternoon. We get a handful of freezes every year, but it NEVER stays around for 4 days!

I have to say I'm getting accustom to it. I worked in the yard the other day in a T-shirt, it was upper 30's and sun shine, real nice.

This Global warming will kill us all. BTW, Al Gore needs to give the money back that he has made on his B** S*** movie and lectures. Fat chance.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
randall

Post by randall »

while i have no opinion on global warming i know the difference between climate and weather.

i have a roaring fire going so i am doing my part. its probably 5 degrees warmer outside my house than next door.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Global warming is the general shift of weather patterns and overall average.

We sure as hell are having an enduring cold snap, no matter how you cut it!

I am having a fireplace insert installed Friday. Can't come soon enough. The heating bill for my house was $500 for the last whopper of a delivery.

Firewood here I come!

D
randall

Post by randall »

firewood is great........it'll heat you twice.

not choppin any this winter however.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Buju: Wish granted!

All to myself! Some airlines have $150 roundtrips to Puerto Rico.

In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Asshole lawyer...rub it in...

UV the freezin'
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

UV

LMAO.........careful with those frozen roof ice pops don't fall on your head.... couple of weeks ago I was in Chicago......one beautiful day and three consecutive days with gray skies....this island boy can't stand it! My joints were ready to explode.

These pics are in front of the Shead's Acquarium

But I rather be doing this......

Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hueso, at least your pictures give everybody a warm feeling and hope that spring is not to far away.

We have broke a record here along the coast in P'cola with 10 consecutive nights below freezing down to low as 18 degrees and still counting as its not suppose to get better till Friday
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Incredible! Was planning to go up to the Miami B*tch International Boat Show with the baby, but I'm quiting. February is around the corner and things don't look pretty. My 3 month old doesn't know what "cold" air is.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Huesso

You got out of Chi town just in time. I am suprised the lake had no ice on it this time or year. Rather be in Puerto Rico than Chi Town in the winter.
coolair

Post by coolair »

UV you said it best, asshole!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854