Rend 2010

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rumrunner

Rend 2010

Post by Rumrunner »

Is the best way to get to Greenport to come south of Plum Island and down the east side to Greenport?

Capt Tom
Capt Tom
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Are car rentals available at ISLIP?

How far is the drive from the airport to the mairna?

Please don't tell me I will have to cross the George Washington Bridge! ! ! ! Going north was not bad but going South??? I chewed a hole in the seat cover

H
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tom- It's a short run from Plum Island heading west.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

harry
yes there are car rentals at islip, i would call ahead, the drive is appox 1hr 15 min
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Tom: It depends on where you are coming from. If from NJ, you wouldn't get as far East as Plum Island since you would probably go through the canal and the Peconic Bays to Greenport rather than making the transit around Montauk Point. If you are coming from the North, you could pass Plum Island on either side depending on the weather in Long Island Sound. Some days it is a lot smoother to go south of Plum and avoid the tide in Plum Gut. Either way, the ride from Plum Island to Greenport should be about 1/2 hour.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

White Bear wrote:Tom: It depends on where you are coming from. If from NJ, you wouldn't get as far East as Plum Island since you would probably go through the canal and the Peconic Bays to Greenport rather than making the transit around Montauk Point. If you are coming from the North, you could pass Plum Island on either side depending on the weather in Long Island Sound. Some days it is a lot smoother to go south of Plum and avoid the tide in Plum Gut. Either way, the ride from Plum Island to Greenport should be about 1/2 hour.
I think Tom is coming from NJ, no? If so then Tom's tower will not make it through the canal. Tom, you have two options:

1) run outside south of LI and come around Montauk point. Then north of Gardiners Island and head west to Greenport. It is a long trip, the best stop for that big boat for fuel is Shinnecock or Montauk.

2) Run through NYC up the East River and through the LI Sound then come around Orient point just west of Plum Island, then continue west to Greenport.

I've done both, the south route is much faster. The north route is cool because you can stop in places like Essex or Stonigton in CT or Port Jefferson in NY. You can even stop in NYC, but do it on the West side on the Hudson River, not the East side. There is for all intents and purposes no dockage on the East side any longer. The west side you can stay at Chelsea Piers and you have access to everything including the Hudson River park that runs the length of Manhattan and the new Highline Park, very very neat to check out. Keep us posted on the route you are planning and I am sure everyone will throw out ideas.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry you are not going anywere near GWB . look on map for outter bridge crossing about 3 exits south of GWB . you will go over VNB and on to south state parkway to end. if you need details i will publish them .this is car only route (or pickup truck). very quick unless you try it rush hour friday 4pm on .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Harry- if you land at Islip, you will already be 1/2 of the way out on Long Island. No bridges, no going near NYC. Islip is about 45 miles east of NYC. You will get in a car, or get picked up, and you will drive east for about 1 hour 15 minutes. You will drive through the Pine Barrens, through lots of farms, and a bunch of small towns.

Islip is a very convenient place to fly into. Even if you decide to go to Rhode Island or Connecticut, or Mass for some reason, you would just take a ferry from Orient Point (the town next to Greenport). Except for summer tourist taffic you will not be aggravated much.
randall

Post by randall »

caren flies in and out of islip once a month(southwest) its the easiest airport going.

harry....i'm sure someone would be glad to pick you up and if no one else will......i will.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry i thought you were driving up ,if your flying the brothers set you straight islip is terrific . i could drive up to the door and pick you up .the problem is i will be taking the boat friday .if you get in on a thursday i would gladly pick you up and take you to greenport . like jspiezio said beautiful country, peaceful driving thru short cut at westhamton to the farms along north road. then down into greenport or you might want to go to the wine tasteing along that road.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

I think Tom is coming from NJ, no? If so then Tom's tower will not make it through the canal.

Right you are. I didn't know about Tom's tower until I saw it mentioned in another thread.

The trip past NYC, through Hellgate and out Long Island Sound is not one to be missed if you have the time.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Charlie, Randall and Bob
Jo Ann and I are pretty certain that we will make the 2010 rendezvous.

Its too early to know exactly what we will do but I am for sure we will land at ISLIP. Never even heard of ISLIP until a few evenings ago. One thing for sure is that we will fly from Alabama.

I may even take you guys up on your offers.

Driving across the GWB is really not all that bad but it is high on the list of the most traffic I have ever encountered.

One thing for sure is that I am looking forward to seeing once again you guys that I have already met and looking forward to meeting ALL of the rest of "Our Gang"

On another note.....2010 is IMTS year....any of our machine shop or manufacturing brothers gonna attend?

Harry
hb
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I am back and forth between lauderdale and long Island about 15 - 20 times a year. ISLIP is the way to go. There are car rentals. The only problem is that not a lot of airlines fly there. I use Southwest and it works fine for me ... not sure who else flies there.
If coming by boat from NJ and tower won't clear Shinnecock canal bridges, you have two choices ....
(A) stay in Ocean and go around Montauk, then up past Gardiners Island to Greenport
(B) come in NY harbor, do the east river and go east in LI Sound, then come around Orient Point and to greenport.

six of one/half dozen of other ... either way, you are going more east than you need to and doubling back.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

My freinds band can play for free if that is something we want. Plays rock to Buffet type stuff.
neil

Post by neil »

sounds like a party
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Last weekend in july or 1st in August? I look forward to it...back to the barn, maybe, just maybe my ride will float by then...Keep us posted on sign up details for slip reservations...My folks had a good time last year, Brewster even gave my Mom some Bertram juice...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I also got VanStall to give some reels for the dinner prizes.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Not sure who the lead guy is, but I can send all of my "stuff" from last year to whoever it is. Names and addresses for contacts and attendees already into the computer, so one pain in the rear you won't have to deal with. Just let me know who the lead guy is.

Also.....I'm in. Will try to scedule my vacation around it so wll be up for some cruising on either end.
Giff
Rumrunner

Made the trip many times

Post by Rumrunner »

Thanks for all the advice. I had a feeling that the tower would not fit thru the canal. We will go up the east river, the crew loves that ride. We will continue on the Newport and Nantucket after the rendezvous. We will not need fuel from NJ to Greenport. We have a range of 14 to 20 hours @ 25 knots

Capt Tom
Capt Tom