i cant make this stuff up

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

i cant make this stuff up

Post by coolair »

OK
so last weekend i drained the last oh 30 gal. out of my tank so i can get it out.

well not really thinking about it i dumped about 25 of it in my truck. other 5 in my dads. mine is 09 chevy 3500 with 6.0(4k miles) my dads is a 05 2500 chevy with a 6.0

Saturday night drive home no problems. Sunday morning... the trouble started, truck wouldnt start, after cranking a few times giving it gas, she fired up and sound like crap sounded like a little gen set running, but after couple mins cleared up and ran fine. dads truck same thing but he immediately topped his tank off with fresh gas. His truck seems to be fine now.
Monday morning same thing almost didnt start, but cleared up. went to a job, let it sit for a hour or two and almost didnt start again, but way worse than the other 2 times. Went a head and put some fresh gas in it. cleared up all was good.

Tuesday morning... truck started fine, but had a constant ticking.. never went away... dropped it off at the dealership. first they found a broken push rod, and a worn roller rocker. Truck started good, all was good, they fixed a few other cosmetic stuff, this morning started the truck, and all hell broke loose, now have 2 bent push rods and worn rockers and they think a stuck valve... the fuel in my tank looks like ice tea. Well i am glad i got the fuel out of my boat, though the tank looked good, obviously something is going on. Now that said they did tell me they have had a few problems with push rods and rockers, so maybe coincidence maybe not.
So lesson learned, dont put the fuel in your truck haha.
As of now GM is standing behind the truck and though my fuel looks like shit, they dont think its fuel related because it is only occuring on some cylinders not all we will see!

so should the inside of my tank be gelcoat?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Sounds like the Ethanol/vintage fiberglass tank problem......the dealership will never figure it out.....

The fuel you drained out of the boat has resin desolved in it.....its depositing on your valves, siezing them and causing the pushrods to bend.

There is a trememdous amount of information on this problem in the ethanol section of our board here....

Harry
hb
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Didn't that tank have aircraft fuel only ... or did you ultimately go with regular ethanoled fuel?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Carl

Post by Carl »

That really sounds familar...

Cost me several hundred to get my truck to the dealership, do a few items and clean injectors, cause she was sputtering and dieing. This was after I put some of the old fuel in my truck, but before I knew it was disolving the tank...Dad had his trucks tank drained when it started running lousey.

In the boat it started by only jamming up the same few valves and bending only those Push Rods, but then slowly it would be any one of the Rods getting bent. Lots of Techtron addative and a good dose of Amsoil Intake Foam cleamer in the carb before and after would keep the motors going, although never up to full rpm...

Anyway I'd get that fuel out of your truck and don't put it in anything you want to keep running.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Ya thats where i am at
Yes the boat originally had just avgas, so i was told and the first tank i put in it was that as well. But towards the end of the summer the cost of avgas was too high and to hard to get to the boat. so i just put a little ethanol in it like 1/2 tank, most of it was gone pretty quick sept these few gals. the 30 or so i put in my truck but the inside of the tank looked good, unless its suppose to have gel coat, cause there isnt any on the sides and bottom.
I will see what GM says... hopefully they will cover it but i don't know find out monday
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Don't even mention the fuel you put in or it will all become your fault...which it probably is. The less they know, the better it will be for you. Walter
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hell I was running fantastic, It was the beginning of the season, I had just changed the ratio of my trannies and was real pleased with the better performance.

I went thru several tanks of non-ethanol Jersey fuel without a sputter. Then one day fishing just outside my harbor I decided to run in and get a few gallons of fuel locally. Took on 40 gallons, by the time I made my way back out to the Harbors entrance I couldn't keep my Port engine running.

When I opened up my tank inspection hatch, it looked very clean too.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Trust me i am keeping my mouth shut,
I think that the fuel indeed has something to do with it
but i saw a couple rockers and the roller bearing in them is worn pretty bad, alot of play, no way fuel did that. and i had a ticking before the fuel. I just think it made it worse.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Carl

Post by Carl »

coolair wrote:Trust me i am keeping my mouth shut,
I think that the fuel indeed has something to do with it
but i saw a couple rockers and the roller bearing in them is worn pretty bad, alot of play, no way fuel did that. and i had a ticking before the fuel. I just think it made it worse.

The last nail in the coffin...so to speak.

Maybe it was a good thing for you then, that is you crapped out before the warrantee did...
coolair

Post by coolair »

True, but all new chevys have a 5 year 100k mile power train warranty so i would have been covered.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854