A little press on the Cabo tournament John Cranston won!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

A little press on the Cabo tournament John Cranston won!

Post by MarkS »

And some other trivial crap like the Bisbee, the Tuna Jackpot,the Los Cabos Billfish tournament and other nickle dime stuff! The quality print on the Trip Advisor Black & Green tourney is 2/3 the way down the article.
==============================================

Greetings Amigos!
November 2009
TOURNAMENT EDITION

Welcome to the 2009 Tournament Edition of Portside, the RedRum Sportfishing Newsletter. We had another phenomenal tournament season with RedRum boats reaching the leader board in 4 local tournaments. Below is a list of the different tournaments and the different rules that govern each event.

First up on the tournament schedule was the 2nd annual Trip Advisor Black and Green Invitational. Comprised of the Tripadvisor.com members of the Cabo San Lucas Forum, close to 40 anglers and 40 more guests enjoyed the angling and events. Fishing dates for the tournament were October 10th and 11th, rules are lax and most folks are more worried about having fun than catching the most fish.

Next was the Los Cabos Billfish Tournament from the 14th through the 16th of October. In it's 11th year in Cabo San Lucas, the LCB is a Blue, Black and Striped Marlin tournament that also has Tuna, Wahoo and Dorado divisions. Base entry for the tournament is $5000 with various daily jackpots for different species. All in is around $16,500 for the 3 day tournament. IGFA rules are honored, but you are able to pass the rod.

The Bisbee Los Cabos Offshore, or Bisbee Chico as it is referred to locally, immediately followed the LCB, with fishing dates on the 17th and 18th of October. A Blue and Black Marlin tournament with optional Tuna and Dorado divisions, base entry is $1200 while going "across the board" will cost around $8,000. This event also adheres to IGFA rules with a few exceptions.

The world's "richest" tournament, which as you may have expected was a little "poorer" this year, the Bisbee's Black and Blue, was next on the docket. With a $5000 base entry fee and various daily jackpots that range from $200 to $10,000 over the 3 day event, "all in" at the Black and Blue will cost you over $63,000. While a hurricane a few hundred miles away threatened the tournament, a one day delay was the only setback, 94 teams fished the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th of October for close to $2 million in prize money.

As it's name implies, the Western Outdoor News Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot, is a Yellowfin Tuna tournament that has Wahoo and Dorado optionals, but nothing for any type of Marlin. Teams can enter for as little as $700, while some put as much as $20,000 on the line. A tournament that has always been known as much for it's parties as it's fishing, the WON Tuna Jackpot is a favorite with anglers and this year had more entries than any other tournament in Cabo San Lucas. 104 teams competed on November 5th and 6th.

The IGFA, or International Game Fish Association, held it's Rolex World Championships from the 9th through the 12th of November. The IGFA is an invitation only 100% release tournament where teams from all over the world fished Cabo, randomly drawing a different boat and crew each of the 4 days they fished. Strictly adhering to it's own rules, the IGFA is the most intense in the rule department. Teams have to show the rod, reel, line and sometimes hook or lure that they caught a specific fish with. Teams compete for various prizes and cash, as do crews from the different local boats.

Please continue reading the tournament recaps for detailed info about RedRum anglers and crews.
First Tournament? No Problem!

Joe Assenza wasn't even supposed to fish the Los Cabos Billfish, so how did he end up with that check?

After 10-15 trips with Javier and Manuel over the past few years, Joe called over the summer and told me he was ready to fish a tournament for the first time. Joe and I have become pretty good friends over the years and I couldn't have been happier for him. There is definitely something special about tournament fishing that is tough to describe, an intoxicating excitement that would make a mockery of any adrenaline rush.

Joe originally wanted to fish the Western Outdoor News Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot, after Team RedRum's big win in 2008. The problem was, Rum Runnin was already booked. Joe has been fishing with RedRum for several years now, and will not fish on another boat or with another crew. Everyone has their favorites, and Javier and Manuel on Rum Runnin are Joe's.

After talking about alternatives, we finally decided on the Los Cabos Billfish Tournament for Joe and his crew. The guys liked the variety the LCB offered, with points awarded for not only Marlin, but Tuna, Wahoo and Dorado as well.

While Tropical Storm Patricia threatened the tournament, much to everyone's pleasure, the storm made a hard westerly turn before reaching Cabo San Lucas.

Day one was an excellent fishing day for Joe and his guys. I was eagerly awaiting their return to port and was very happy to see Javier cruise past his slip on "A" dock towards the weigh station. I was amazed when I saw Rum Runnin with Marlin, Tuna, Dorado and Wahoo flags flying!

After congratulated Joe on a great day, the only question I had was if there was any size to the fish they had caught. The answer was yes! Joe had a nice wahoo in the 30 lb class, a Dorado that was heavier than the Wahoo, and finally a Yellowfin that weighed more than the other two combined.

Getting to the scales in any tournament is a great feeling, weighing three different species is an amazing accomplishment. Both the Dorado and the Yellowfin briefly held the daily lead, but it was the Wahoo that held up against the all the other teams. Joe and his team had just made close to $8,000 on day one of their first tournament ever. I know lifelong tournament fishermen that would be envious of that feat in any tournament.

Day two of the tournament proved to be exciting as well, as Javier and Manuel found the right spot and had a big Marlin crashing the spread. After presenting several different options, the Marlin decided against eating and returned to the depths. The rest of the day was filled with Dorado, none of which made the scale, but overall a great day of fishing.

Congrats to our good buddy Joe Assenza and his crew from Indiana, we certainly look forward to you guys coming back and representing RedRum again next year

Western Outdoor News Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot

With 8 teams helping to represent RedRum Sportfishing in this year's Tuna Jackpot, this was by far the most popular tournament for RedRum clients.

The relatively affordable entry fee and great prizes and giveaways consistently make the WON Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot a favorite of anglers.

After winning 1st Place in last year's tournament, there was a ton of excitement heading into the tournament this year.

We had a dad and daughter team, we had two brothers, fathers and sons, best friends and so on. One of the things my father and I really love about owning this business is all the great people we get to meet and our tournament anglers this year fit the bill.

Sal and Joe Catania of Las Vegas, two brothers, were the RedRum team that took top honors this year. Their 90.3lb Yellowfin was the first back to the scales on Day 2 of the tournament and it held up in the $2000 Jackpot as the biggest fish. Sal and Joe have fished this tournament many times in the past, but this was the first time they reached the scales. They couldn't say enough about Captain Ramon aboard TantRum and will definitely be back next year. Sal and Joe took home $28,000 in winnings.

While my team, made up of my father, John, and best buddy, Luis did not place in this year's tournament, we did once again catch the biggest fish in the tournament. While slow trolling a 10lb Skipjack Tuna on the Outer Gordo bank, fishing aboard The Missing Lenk, we got slammed by a monster Black Marlin. The 633lb Black Marlin we landed was the biggest Marlin caught during any of the tournaments this year, we just happened to catch it during the wrong tournament. Can't win em' all I guess, but as long as we are catching the biggest fish each year, I like our chances.

-Thanks for catching up with us,
Ryan

In This Issue
How many tournaments are there in Cabo?
Joe's Assenza's Los Cabos Billfish Win
Catania Brothers finally get paid at the Tuna Jackpot
IGFA Championships hit Cabo San Lucas
TA Tourney, Always a Rockin' Time
Bisbee's

The IGFA, or International Game Fish Association is the governing body for sportfishing around the world. Due to the outbreak and drama surrounding the "Swine Flu" the IGFA rescheduled it's World Championship from May of 2009 to November 2009.

Cabo San Lucas was once again proud to host some of the top anglers from around the world. Tournament winners from Boston to Bali, and everywhere in between converged on Cabo San Lucas to fish with our crews and on our boats for chance to be crowned World Champions.

This 4 day, release only tournament, featured some of the top teams representing 40 different countries. While the fishing wasn't exactly wide open, Cabo did produce plenty of Marlin for the anglers.

RedRum Sportfishing was honored to have three boats invited to participate in the event., The 42' Pescado III, the 33' El Nuevo RedRum, and the 31' Grey Light.

Captain Ulyses on Grey Light, was the top producer from the RedRum fleet, finishing 3rd in the event. He is the youngest Captain ever to crack the top 3. Congratulations to Ulyses.

TripAdvisor.com
Black and Green Invitational

The members of TripAdvisor.com's Cabo San Lucas Forum were back at it again this year, once again led by tournament organizers Mark Stange and Terry Hesch.

Close to 40 anglers and as many as 40 more guests made the trip to Cabo San Lucas for a few days on the water and several nights of fun around town.

9 boats fished the tournament this year, and while the fishing was a bit slower than last years inaugural tournament, several boats were still very successful.

John Cranston and his crew aboard the 31' Bertram Renegade Mike took the top honors over the two day contest.

RedRum Sportfishing's 32' Jersey Shore, The RedBeam, fell just short of the top prize, finishing second. Team Texas Taco, fishing their second TA tourney and made us proud with an excellent effort both days.

Team Lavida aboard the 35' Cabo, The Bill Collector took home the third place prize.

A banquet on the final night of the trip wrapped up the tournament event schedule. The award ceremony and charity auction were held at Miguel Loco's restaurant, with John Donovan from RedRum Sportfishing acting as MC for the evening.

Some excellent gear and prizes were given away and raffled off and over $2000 was raised by tournament participants. The children of Grupo Apoyo, or The Ray Thomas Foundation as they are also known, were the recipients of the good will. Grupo Apoyo provides structured sports programs to underpriviledged kids here in Cabo San Lucas.

The goal of each and every participant of the TripAdvisor invitational is to have a blast and share some great times with friends old and new. Once again, this year's tourney was an excellent success.

Both the Bisbee's Offshore and the Bisbee's Black and Blue were threatened this year by storms.

Clint Arthur and his folks Barbarra and Kenneth have been fishing with RedRum for many years and this was Clint's second attempt at the Bisbee's Offshore. Once again, Clint and his crew fished with Captain Alex aboard the 33' Bertram, El Nuevo RedRum.

Day one, Alex spent the day slow trolling big Skipjack Tuna around the Gordo Banks to no avail. The fishing was slow for everyone on the first day of the tourney with most of us blaming the weather. Once the guys got back they realized that the Dorado and Yellowfin categories were wide open, without a single qualifying fish on Day 1. It didn't take long to make the decision to target Dorado and Tuna on day two with a payoff of more than $50,000 awaiting the winning fish.

Unfortunately for Clint and the guys, it wasn't in the cards this year. They had several Dorado on Day 2, but nothing big enough to bring to the scales. Thanks for representing RedRum Sportfishing Clint, hope to see you and the boys back next year.

Less than a week later, it was time for the Bisbee's Black and Blue and Captain Alex and El Nuevo RedRum were back at it.

Once again threatened by the massive Category 5 Hurricane Rick, fishing was ultra slow for the Bisbee with just two qualifying fish over the three day event.

Ron Smith and Calvin Keys are no strangers to the Bisbee, fishing in the tournament the last 10 years. That being said, they had never seen the fishing as slow over a three day period. Most of us here in Cabo think all the commotion with the storms drove the fish up into the safety of the Sea of Cortez.

Alex wasn't able to get hooked up during the event, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. Alex used dead bait and live bait, lures and downriggers. We had Bally-Hoo flown in from the mainland, we had Sierra delivered from La Paz, plus plenty of local Caballito and Mackeral.

The winning fish this year weighed in at 375lbs and was brought in by the 50' Mikelson, Mi Novia.

Ryan Donovan
RedRum Sportfishing
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mark,
Yeah, those other tournaments are small time compared to ours. The Tuna Jackpot sounds like a good and affordable time...I'd like to do that one sometime. When are we going ice fishing?
Thanks for the post, Mark.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Not quite enough ice yet my friend. Swimming this time of year sucks and I have a couple kids to raise yet so I generally feel more comfy after the first of the year. I'll be in touch though.

I need to find additional income for all these Mexican fishing trips you want to go on. I was thinking of selling it on the street corner but I would need a hair transplant, some kind of plastic facial reconstructive surgeory and likely a personality adjustment before that would become gainful income. Got any ideas for me? Maybe I could write speeches for the president?

Stay warm amigo.

M

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mark,
Just charge it..it's like free money. You guys stay warm also. I'm getting ready to dig into a bottle of pennsylvania Dutch egg nog to get me in the Christmas spirit. Check you later, pal.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Don't forget to mix that with some cheap brandy.

sing it with me, "I'll be sloshed for Christmas", "You can count on me!" "I'll be sloshed for Christmas..................................