Mini Tom P. Invitational Tourny Results/Renegade Mike

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hyena Love

Mini Tom P. Invitational Tourny Results/Renegade Mike

Post by Hyena Love »

Myself, Tom P., the Doctor, and two other couples spent some time in Cabo last week. Had a blast.

High light of the trip - at least as far as fishing goes - included meeting Renegade Mike for a couple days of fishing on his B31 express. Sweet little boat.

Mike turned out to be a great guy, and he really knows his stuff. Ended up putting us on nine striped marlin in two days during a week of relatively slow fishing for the rest of the charter fleet. He and his capt./crew were especially patient and nice with my wife. We fished stand up, and he really worked with her on her technique.

Day one was a bit of Bertram weather. Mike says we are going to make a long run to catch some good bait, and it was indeed quite snotty. Only two other boats made the long run, and as we were jigging up bait, I look up to see the boat next to us has an angler leaning over each side just yakking up breakfast. Good times.

Wife got three and I had four, plus misc. dorado. I missed at least two due to sheer stupidity, and we had one that we could just not get the hook into. Saw a few more. Easily could have been 10 if I was on my game.

Rumor has it, unconfirmed mind you, that one of our very own, fishing some sort of tricked out Cabo on a high dollar charter in the much calmer water, ralphed twice that same day. I here tell they only had two striped marlin that day, but with the embarassment over the puking like a b. and whatnot, even those numbers are somewhat suspect. What the deal with these Hatt owners? Are they all pukers, or is it just Timmy and our mutal friend?

Day two was a bit slower because of some warm water moving into the area. Again, we made the long run for good bait and were rewarded with a couple more s. marlin and something like six or seven dorado. The Doctor and Sir Ralph elected to stay home day two.

I recommend Renegade Mike if any of y'all are down in Cabo. He and his team worked hard, were ready to leave early and stay late, and really did a great job. Can't say enough about how cool they were with my wife. Plus, you gotta love fishing these little Berts.

Final results - The Bert. 31 wins again, hands down. We were going to disqualify the Cabo, obviously as a non-Bert entry in the tourny, but why bother when they don't even give the Bert a run for its money?

Tom, as the event organizer, finished 4th cause, well, this ain't the UVI. But, he did win the Pepto-Bismal trophy as the most effective chummer.

All in all, a good time was had by all.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

HL,
Mike is a trip isn't he! He was going over some technique with one of the guys on my team in October during a tournament prefishing excursion we had with him. He has some very good points but during this explaination Acention, his captain leaned down from the bridge and tapped me on the hat and gave me the old one hand phewy, (meaning he is full of sheep dip) of course being the tattle tale that I am jawing with Mike later he said no big deal, the Mexican captains think they are the best fisherman in the world and the Gringo's or in his case the spanish gringo "Don't know squat"! His catch totals speak for themselves! The guy knows his guano!

Good to hear fun was had by all, the down side is the fantastic stripey fishing of the last two years never materialized this fall. Maybe next year.

Any good stories about crew stupidity in town, i.e. watching the sun crest over the curb as you wake, upside down in the tailer at the Giggling Marlin,
overdoses of turttle whistles and chicklets from the juior sales force on the street? Drunkiness near the pool? This ain't Vegas, you can tell!! LOL

M
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Tom

Post by Tom »

A good time had by all. Too many margaritas, wine bottles, and whiskey the night before fishing. That and the captain's cannibis and cigs were a little too much. We were in calm water so can't blame it on anything than being overserved the evening before.

I hand the gringo mexican capitan the live bait rod and said hold this for a minute. His reply, "senor, do not barf in my boat." It was all ok for the surgeon general held my hair.

Fishing was definitely slower than years past. Saw 40-50 tailers but damned if they weren't eating. I think RenegadMike and Team E had the most laundry flying while I was just glad to get back to the motel.

We stayed in San Jose at the Marquis Los Cabos. 20 minutes into CSL but I really like the motel. been there 5-6 times now. The wife loves it most of all. And when the wife is relaxed, Tommy P's got a smile on his face.

http://www.marquisloscabos.com
Viva la Presidente!