polyethylene tank expanding potential???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

polyethylene tank expanding potential???

Post by scenarioL113 »

I have a moeller fuel tank that I am installing in my B28. It is their 157 gallon one that is replacing my destroyed 165. I would have liked something bigger to replace it with but this moeller had dimensions that I could work with, and was only $850.00.

Tank is very well built and comes with 2 stainless pick-up fitting with barbs. Has an additional 4 fittings that are plugged, the sending unit and the vent fitting with barb. This tank came all set up for my diesels.

My question is moeller says the tank can expand up to 3% in all directions from some scientific reasoning.

I am sure it will, I am not questioning the fact, I am concerned with keeping the tank stationary but also allowing it to "expand".

I made a bed/cradle for it to lay on and mad a stopper for it front and back. I left about 1-3/4" to compensate the front to back expansion. I am thinking about using some poly-type foam padding that is used in the gym to do sit-ups on.

I figure it will compress when the tank expands on it and when the tank is not expanded it should take up some of that 1-3/4" of room that was left for it to breathe.

Does anyone have any experience with a poly tank and if so, any suggestions on holding her in place?

Frank
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

All the poly tanks I've seen use stainless straps.

2" wide stainless strap with 1/8" rubber between strap and tank to hold down and 2x2 360 around bottom to keep it from sliding.

Tank will bulge depending on how it was built. Sorta like a beer gut.