Forward Leaning Windshield-

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tangier

Forward Leaning Windshield-

Post by Tangier »

In the process of repainting, stringers, chroming... an older FBC. Have been poking around this site which has been great-

Has any one considered a forward leaning windshield for the fly bridge?

Thanks in advance,
In the middle of a rebuild...
jspiezio

Re: Forward Leaning Windshield-

Post by jspiezio »

Tangier wrote:In the process of repainting, stringers, chroming... an older FBC. Have been poking around this site which has been great-

Has any one considered a forward leaning windshield for the fly bridge?

Thanks in advance,
Tangier- We had forward leaning windshields on both of the two 31B flybridges and 25Bs that we had years ago, sort of. The stock windshield was left in place, and we added a forward leaning plexiglas extender to the windshield. They varied from 6" to 8" and were mounted on brackets right to the frame and the windshield.

They diverted an awful lot of spray. Take a look at Ironman's shots, of his baby, I think that she has a similar but more modern and more extensive set up. Those "portugese" style windsheilds are very popular on the west coast.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

My B31 FBC "Another Joy" has a forward leaning or "venturi" windshield and it does wonders deflecting spray and rain. It was fabricated in three pieces by Schubert Marine in New Orleans in the early 90s. It was damaged by Katrina in 2005 and replaced - very well - by Seabrook Marine in New Orleans. My enclosure attaches to the top of it with twist fasteners. You can probably see it in the Images section, or if you email me at royvictor@cox.net I'll find an image of it and shoot it off to you.

UV
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Tangler: Heres a couple pics before we added the Izenglas
Not sure if this is what you mean.. We put an alumn. rail in front of it to protect it from people grabbing on to the edge of it... & the Izenglass rides on the rail instead of the Venturi

Protective paper on it here..
Wasnt too expensive at all....
They take your old windshield ..Mold the bottom the same & flare the top out,, Send it out here & my friend can do it.
Theydid my 25 Bert the same way. came out good as well
"Fishing Boats Unlimited" ..
Got a full enclosure now
Wayne
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Here's mine, one solid molded smoked lexan type material.

jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Now that's what I'm talking about, nice setups. In the good old days (the 60s and 70s) we didn't have all those fancy, new fangled gadgets. But I remember that even the simple old style really worked well for dryness.
Tangier

Post by Tangier »

Wow-

I hadn't thought about the grab rail but it makes sense.
The black lexan looks sharp-
Thanks for the info and more importantly the photos-
In the middle of a rebuild...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Back in the 70's when Stone Harbor Yacht sales was in business and selling the heck out the 31, they used to attach a piece leaning out like that, to the top of the windishield. Made it a bit higher which would probably make it knock down a little more spray.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Tony Meola wrote:Back in the 70's when Stone Harbor Yacht sales was in business and selling the heck out the 31, they used to attach a piece leaning out like that, to the top of the windishield. Made it a bit higher which would probably make it knock down a little more spray.
That is exactly what I am talking about Tony, it pointed forward correct?. I remember picking up my dad's 38 Bertram from Stone Harbor and running her back to LI with him. That boat was a f-----g tank under way, but she rolled like a son of a bitch on the drift. What great times.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That's it, the guys at Stone Harbor always added an extra cleat to the bow of the 31 and always added the piece on the windshield. Yes it pointed forward.

I really like the look the windshield pointing forward gives to the boat.

You are right that 38 was a tank. The older ones were real heavy. I knew a guy that used to empty out the salon to reduce the weight so they could pick up a knot or two. Not a spead demon but nothing stopped them.