Cummins VT 370 M

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

luis

Cummins VT 370 M

Post by luis »

Hi , a guy is offering me 2 x Cummins VT 370 M Cummins with Capitol Twin disc gears 1.5:1 at a very good price and the engines have been recon. My question is : does those engines with that Capitol gearbox fits in a B31 without major rearrangements? And also the guy told me that I could work with them without the turbos and on this case the engines are like 300 Hp. I have lots of doubts about this. My other chance are 2 x Cummins 6BT 210 with ZF220A/10º angle.
Any help to clear my questions are welcome
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

based on getting parts alone, i'd say go with the 6bt's.
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ditto, go with the 6BTs, great engines, last forever and parts are easy to get....the VTs are stone age motors and parts are impossible to get....plus they are very low hp as I remember, in the 170 range.

You can't go wrong with the 6BTs.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The 210's will fit like a glove, cruise at 20-22 kts @ 7-8 gallons per hr each. Keep your 1 3/8 shafts. They are bulletproof! I know, I have had them on my Sportsfisherman. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The last 31 I repowered a year ago had those old Cummins in it.

Engine boxes had to be lengthened and the deck cut back to fit.

I put a standard deck back in with the Yanmar 4 bangers. Owner said boat ran circles around those old dogs.

But the real question is how are parts in your area specificaly for those engines?

Many places over seas use older engines and aren't as throw away as we are in the states.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Luis

Like everyone said, the 210 are bullet proof.

If I remember right, your boat has that custom cabin that runs all the way back so you have no open cockpit area. Do you know how much the boat weighs? If the cabin added a lot of weight you need to make sure the 210's will give you the performance you want.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Cummins 8VT370s are 370 HP. They were the 4 stroke option in 45 Hatteras boats of the early 1970s. Their equivalent that you would know, that went into those 45 Hatts were 8v71 detroits. The Cummins were a good engine, but parts are getting difficult and they are WAY big for a B31. I don't see how they would fit.
Go with the 6BTs
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
luis

Post by luis »

You are all right . The Vt are way to big for my boat. The 6BT is the right choice for me and also have a look and if not in Portugal , in Spain I can get easy parts for the 6BT.
The weight of the custom cabin I have is not too much and if it runs well with the old V8 - 185 should run very well with the 6BT-210. And with the ZF220 10º down angle I can run the engines in a more straight position then before (direct drive).
As usual you are an encyclopedia.
My thanks to all and wish you all a Happy Christmas and a New Year with good waves and calm winds.