styrene or acetone and nautic marine

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

styrene or acetone and nautic marine

Post by coolair »

I have two questions. when thinning polyester resin can you use acetone or should you use styrene? The glass supplier by me said 50/50 mix of acetone/resin to coat wood first. I am going to redo my bench seat. Just got all my hinges and brackets from pompanette. bro said acetone too, just not as heavy a mix

also, is nautic marine welding still around?
thanks
matt
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Styrene is the preferred method to thin polyester resin, but acetone will work... 20% would be the highest volume of thinner that I'd use. Any penetrating resin should be followed up with several coats of un-thinned resin to fully seal a porous substraight.

I would use epoxy rather than polyester for sealing wood. Epoxy can be thinned at the same 20% level using denatured alcohol. Again, a follow up of un-thinned resin should be applied.

Doug's Nautic Marine is no longer available. Doug shifted emphasis and contracted out to a large volume client...
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

If you had a question I am sure Doug would be more than happy to answer though. He really is a good Shi......... 954-563-9932
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

just a FYI- Pomp sells the backing and cushions, they now sell it in wood free version. You may want to explore that if you also require cushions
coolair

Post by coolair »

Thanks,
Ya, from reading the post pomp probably wants close to a grand.
I got my hinges and braces, and am going to build it my self, i am itching to try some fiberglass work haha.
Gues at nautic gave me number of a guy named george, georges welding. any experiance??